Otoclinus , What do they eat when there is no food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hortoholic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have bought a few Otoclinus and I have tons of algae in my tank. They eat it but I am curious as to what they would eat when there is no food (algae)? If I gave them some algae wafers and they ate it, once the algae comes back would the go back to it?

I greatly appreciate all your answers a lot!

hortoholic

Ours eat any and everything. If there's no algae, they'll eat wafers, pellet foods, frozen foods even flake. Once algae starts growing back, they go back to eating it.

Have you both had good luck keep your Ottos alive? I've heard a lot of conflicting reports about their sensitivity. Just added some to my 37 gal planted tank this week and I'm in love with them..Very cool little creatures! Right now they are having a heyday eating algae off all the leaves of my plants, but I bought some algae waffers to keep on hand in case I need them.

They do best in established, planted, tanks. I give mine some algae waffers once or twice a week, to make sure they are getting enough to eat. Other than that, they are not too tough to keep. Just make sure to keep you water clean,and they should be fine.

I've just bought one today. I bought some aquarium rocks and have put them in a bowl of tank water on a windowsill with a tiny bit of fish food. I've read that this will grow algae, so when my oto has finished in the tank, I should be able to put some nice algae covered rocks into the tank. I will let you know if it works :) (I have algae wafers if it doesn't work)

They do best in established, planted, tanks. I give mine some algae waffers once or twice a week, to make sure they are getting enough to eat. Other than that, they are not too tough to keep. Just make sure to keep you water clean,and they should be fine.

I think my tank qualifies- it is fairly heavily planted and I do a 25-50% PWC once per week. I really hope they do well! Will keep that in mind about the algae waffers; sounds like a good plan.

One more question..I've read they do best in groups. I currently have three. Is that a good number or should I add more?

One more question..I've read they do best in groups. I currently have three. Is that a good number or should I add more?

I usually keep at least 5-6 depending on the tank size. Our 40 has 12, or 20 has 6, you get the idea. Ours love laying on the anubias leaves and resting. Cute lil buggers.

Hey Coleallensmom, I apologize for the late reply, I had just got them as well. I got two. They seem to be doing fine. I'll see how they do. I have a planted tank so I hope that they will keep it clean. As of right now they are enjoying themselves in the tank. Also, I do not want to add to many as my tank is pretty stocked and I do not want to unbalance the bio filter. By the way, thanks for all the replies.

Back
Top Bottom