Ottos compatible with betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hubert90

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do anyone have experience with the two combination? I have a 10 gallon tank, quiet heavily planted (not sure what classifies as heavily tbh) with a juvenile betta. My ph is at 6.6 however my tap water is at 7.6. With my ammonia nitrite at 0, and nitrate 5ppm. With research I've done, Ottos are really sensitive to change in water parameters. ESP to ph and nitrate. While nitrate isn't a problem for me, my ph is! So I'm worried. Any ideas? Thanks :D

A couple of ottos should do fine. A point in PH is nothing and since I assume you are not emptying and refilling that tank the change would be minor more like a half to a quarter of a point.

O thanks! I also read that ottos need oxygen rich water. I don't have an air stone in my 10 gallon (though available) coz I have a heavily planted tank so I don't want to lose my co2. Will the plants produce enough o2 for the ottos?

I would do 3.

Don't worry about pH unless you are altering it with chemicals. The chemicals cause issues. If you keep the pH as it comes from the tap (just using water conditioner) it'll be fine, just acclimate your new fish slowly by putting tank water into the bag/bucket so they gradually change to the tanks water parameters.

I would do 3.

Don't worry about pH unless you are altering it with chemicals. The chemicals cause issues. If you keep the pH as it comes from the tap (just using water conditioner) it'll be fine, just acclimate your new fish slowly by putting tank water into the bag/bucket so they gradually change to the tanks water parameters.

ahh alright thanks

hmm at this point ive done some research on ottos and the environment they like to live in is contradicting with whats ideal for a betta. e.g ottos like fast water movement where betta doesnt.

All tanks have sections of flow and no-flow caused by the filter and objects in the tank. I've had a Betta in a tank with high flow, but it found places with low flow, and I've had Ottos in low flow tanks and they would hang around on the glass opposite where the filter outputs. I'm assuming, of course, that you have a filter in there. :)

All tanks have sections of flow and no-flow caused by the filter and objects in the tank. I've had a Betta in a tank with high flow, but it found places with low flow, and I've had Ottos in low flow tanks and they would hang around on the glass opposite where the filter outputs. I'm assuming, of course, that you have a filter in there. :)

yes i do, infact its abit too big for my 10 gallon. its a aquaclear 70. i had to sponge the outlet so that my betta doesnt get pushed around! hahaha

No healthy fish will ever get sucked into a 70 gallon filter like that one anyway. So I wouldn't worry about the intake. Good that you have looked at the output for the betta. I'd certainly look at the bettas surface needs (where it needs to breathe) more than the Ottos.

Glad to hear that you over-filter... I do too. I have a 400 gallon filter my 55 gallon, 400 for 75 and 400 for the other 75. :)

Tim Wheatley said:
No healthy fish will ever get sucked into a 70 gallon filter like that one anyway. So I wouldn't worry about the intake. Good that you have looked at the output for the betta. I'd certainly look at the bettas surface needs (where it needs to breathe) more than the Ottos.

Glad to hear that you over-filter... I do too. I have a 400 gallon filter my 55 gallon, 400 for 75 and 400 for the other 75. :)

Haha yes I over filter alot. I have a eheim pro 2 2028 for my 39gallon but it houses 2 goldfish so it's needed! Thanks for ur help :D

Back
Top Bottom