Oudy water from live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dooboedoo12

Aquarium Advice Freak
It's day 2 now and the cloudy water still has not settled. Any suggestions? It's a 90 gallon fresh water tank. Still starting it up tho there's no fish in the tank

Time and water changes are really the only options.
You could try leaving it a day without any filtration to see if it settles.
If youre doing a fishless cycle i wouldnt worry as youll be doing a 90% water change once the cycle is complete before adding your fish. I know, its an eyesore but not much more.

Last edited:
I didn't think of that, it's so true. When I add the 90% water back in tho won't that make it cloudy again tho?

I didn't think of that, it's so true. When I add the 90% water back in tho won't that make it cloudy again tho?

It depends on what it actually is, is it from the sand itself or has it just appeared during your cycle? It should definitely settle whatever it is, whether its particals of dust from the sand or a bacterial bloom.

Are you currently cycling the tank, if so how long has it been cycling? Did it just appear when you added the sand?
*edit* 2days, so i wouldnt of thought its a bacterial bloom.

I had issues with what i thought was clean rinced sand and it kicked up a yellow white dust cloud. I decided to mix the sand around inside the tank, i then did a large 80-90% change and the day after it was gone but then i wasnt using live sand.

Last edited:
I gave my local fish store a call. He said run the filter, he thinks it's just small particles from the sand and that should clear it up. I'll tell u if it works!

It will help definitely but be sure to rince the white floss after its clear.

Last edited:
Live sand in a freshwater tank? I don't know if you can do that. I don't think you can. But if you make a mistake and it's normal sand. Maybe you didn't rinse it thoroughly... Just thoughts

It's for freahwAter

Attachments

• image-1769396541.jpg
    image-1769396541.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 65
Maybe they say you don't need to rinse it, but from sitting in a bad and thrown around in transporting, the sand grinds and breaks, you could try taking all your sand out, rinse it in a bucket. ( put the hose at the bottom and move it around until the water that is over flowing is completely clear and has no dust.) then try again, but so you can avoid the sand moving around while filing, use the largest plate or rock u can find. It's a hassle but it's deff worth it.

That would be an ok suggestion if it wasnt live sand as hose water will kill everything benifical and therefore void the reason for picking live sand in the first place.

I agree. Thank you for the advice but I can't do that :( I'm Gna run it with the filter on for a while. I have 2 more bags coming tomorrow so I'll add them slower this time and than run the filter and than maybe some water changes. I'll put up some progress as I go. In the mean time say hello to one of the fish who will be entering

Attachments

• image-765438.jpg
    image-765438.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 60
Wow. Hes absolutely Beautiful! theres no other word for it. Whatever light hes under really makes him shine.

I agree. Thank you for the advice but I can't do that :( I'm Gna run it with the filter on for a while. I have 2 more bags coming tomorrow so I'll add them slower this time and than run the filter and than maybe some water changes. I'll put up some progress as I go. In the mean time say hello to one of the fish who will be entering

Turn off filter when you add the sand. Maybe put pantyhose or foam over intake to protect impeller from loose sand grains. Make sure you add Prime before you add the water.

Mine was the same way. After a few water changes it cleared up.. I would just proceed as normal and see if it clears up. That's what I did

It has cleared up a lot after the filter turned on. Still not 100%. I'm sure water changes will do it tho

Attachments

• image-26749941.jpg
    image-26749941.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 43
CaribSea makes some nice substrates, but I have to say I'm quite skeptical of any bagged "live" sand whether it is for FW or SW.

Back
Top Bottom