Our new tank, and cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Drained the tank and washed everything with plain tapwater, no soap or cleansers. Rinsed everything repeatedly and put it all back together. I threw away the filter. Filled the tank with water, added dechlor and started the pump (without any filter media). I let it circulate for a couple of hours, then added the new filter media, and dosed ammo to just under 4ppm.
JB was a little disappointed at having to start over, but not too much. She's being a trooper.

Update: I have been working out of town a lot lately and now that the garden season is here, I spend most of my time outside. However, this afternoon we checked the water for the first time since we re-started the cycle and are pleased to see that ammo has dropped to 1.0ppm and No2 is slightly over 2.0ppm.

Should we re-dose ammo slightly or wait until it drops more?

Also, I put the tiniest pinch of fish flakes in the tank a day after I re-started the cycle and another very tiny pinch a few days ago. I really think that helps.

JBsDad said:
Update: I have been working out of town a lot lately and now that the garden season is here, I spend most of my time outside. However, this afternoon we checked the water for the first time since we re-started the cycle and are pleased to see that ammo has dropped to 1.0ppm and No2 is slightly over 2.0ppm.

Should we re-dose ammo slightly or wait until it drops more?

Also, I put the tiniest pinch of fish flakes in the tank a day after I re-started the cycle and another very tiny pinch a few days ago. I really think that helps.

Dose that thing back up! Glad it's moving in the right direction. Did you put some barbed wire around the tank this time? Lol

I dosed back to 4ppm using 2ml doses every couple of hours. We'll check it again tomorrow afternoon and see if there are any changes.

I checked the levels today and found ammo down to slightly darker than 2ppm and No2 somewhere between 2 and 5. The chart colors for 2 and 5 are so close it's hard for my old eyes to tell the difference. I dosed with another 2ml of ammo and applied another tiny pinch of flakes.

I also think I found the culprit for the previous stalled cycle. I was searching for the eye dropper that I use exclusively for ammonia and found a bottle of Tetra Easy Balance. I had completely forgot about that stuff and the bottle was shoved clear back to the back of the shelf. As soon as I saw it, I remembered adding it when we started the tank the first time. The label touts the phrase "With NITRABAN!" reduction granuals.
Was that the culprit to my stalled cycle? I have to think so. I have questioned everyone at my birthday party, and got the same answer. The party goers were all mature adults, and they all love JB. I just can't see any of them sabotaging her tank. Everyone knew how important it was to her.
I think it was the EasyBalance....With NITRABAN! that caused the problem.

I truly believe that I have nobody to blame but myself for the failed cycle. I explained what I found to JB and appologized to her for my mistake.

JBsDad said:
I checked the levels today and found ammo down to slightly darker than 2ppm and No2 somewhere between 2 and 5. The chart colors for 2 and 5 are so close it's hard for my old eyes to tell the difference. I dosed with another 2ml of ammo and applied another tiny pinch of flakes.

I also think I found the culprit for the previous stalled cycle. I was searching for the eye dropper that I use exclusively for ammonia and found a bottle of Tetra Easy Balance. I had completely forgot about that stuff and the bottle was shoved clear back to the back of the shelf. As soon as I saw it, I remembered adding it when we started the tank the first time. The label touts the phrase "With NITRABAN!" reduction granuals.
Was that the culprit to my stalled cycle? I have to think so. I have questioned everyone at my birthday party, and got the same answer. The party goers were all mature adults, and they all love JB. I just can't see any of them sabotaging her tank. Everyone knew how important it was to her.
I think it was the EasyBalance....With NITRABAN! that caused the problem.

I truly believe that I have nobody to blame but myself for the failed cycle. I explained what I found to JB and appologized to her for my mistake.

I'd like to say you figured it out...but I don't think that's the culprit. From what I understand, Nitraban is used to lower nitrAte levels in established tanks. I think it's basically a ploy to convince people that if they use the product then weekly pwc's aren't necessary. This is not only untrue, but very dangerous for your tank. Even if the product did keep the nitrAte levels down, without pwc's you'd get a buildup of dissolved organic compounds which leads to what people refer to as "old tank syndrome".

It may have resulted in some odd readings where the no3 may not have climbed as expected...but I cant relate it to any type of stall or failure in a cycle IMO. Have any pets? Maybe the dog got jealous of the attention you were paying to the new fish tank? Lol

Just tested No3 for the first time this evening. It's already somewhere between 20 and 40ppm, so things seem to be moving along quickly. I have to dose ammo everyday to keep it at 4ppm. It's dropping from 4 to 2 each day.

JBsDad said:
Just tested No3 for the first time this evening. It's already somewhere between 20 and 40ppm, so things seem to be moving along quickly. I have to dose ammo everyday to keep it at 4ppm. It's dropping from 4 to 2 each day.

You are gonna be successful this time!

We had a cookout today so I didn't check the tank until this evening. I almost didn't bother, but I'm glad I did. Ammo was clear down to .25ppm. I re-dosed with about 4ml and will check it in the morning. I'll dose up more then, if needed. This cycle is moving very fast after the re-start. As a precaution, I was very clear in my announcement that anyone caught dumping anything into the fish tank would be buried in several undisclosed locations thoughout the state. I have a chain saw, and I'm not afraid to use it...LOL!
I really hope the tank cycles before June 5th. That's JB's birthday and the first thing on her birthday list is "Finally get fish for my fish tank."
Here's keeping my fingers crossed.

JBsDad said:
We had a cookout today so I didn't check the tank until this evening. I almost didn't bother, but I'm glad I did. Ammo was clear down to .25ppm. I re-dosed with about 4ml and will check it in the morning. I'll dose up more then, if needed. This cycle is moving very fast after the re-start. As a precaution, I was very clear in my announcement that anyone caught dumping anything into the fish tank would be buried in several undisclosed locations thoughout the state. I have a chain saw, and I'm not afraid to use it...LOL!
I really hope the tank cycles before June 5th. That's JB's birthday and the first thing on her birthday list is "Finally get fish for my fish tank."
Here's keeping my fingers crossed.

That's awesome! She will get her wish! You are a good dad

Ammo was down to 0ppm this morning and it looks like No2 is falling. No3 is climbing fast too. I guess we better finalize our stocking list pretty soon. Anyone have some advice? We like shoaling fish.

It's only been 18 days since we re-started the cycle. Why is it going so fast??? I think it's the tiny pinches of fish flakes every few days. The way I see it, cycling a tank is a lot like working a compost pile. Both activities are centered around building a health colony of bacteria. In a compost pile, the bacteria need nitrogen and carbon to grow, along with oxygen to form an aerobic colony. In the tank, I have nitrogen in the form of ammonia, and oxygen, but where is the carbon for the bacteria to feed on? So looking at it from a gardeners standpoint, the tank cycle is nothing more than a compost operation. Some carbon content is required for the bacteria to multiply and I think that component is in the fish flakes.
I can't think of any other explanation for the tank going from brand new to cycling like mad in just 18 days, with no seeded filter media. I would like to know if anyone has any opinions on this.

JBsDad said:
Ammo was down to 0ppm this morning and it looks like No2 is falling. No3 is climbing fast too. I guess we better finalize our stocking list pretty soon. Anyone have some advice? We like shoaling fish.

It's only been 18 days since we re-started the cycle. Why is it going so fast??? I think it's the tiny pinches of fish flakes every few days. The way I see it, cycling a tank is a lot like working a compost pile. Both activities are centered around building a health colony of bacteria. In a compost pile, the bacteria need nitrogen and carbon to grow, along with oxygen to form an aerobic colony. In the tank, I have nitrogen in the form of ammonia, and oxygen, but where is the carbon for the bacteria to feed on? So looking at it from a gardeners standpoint, the tank cycle is nothing more than a compost operation. Some carbon content is required for the bacteria to multiply and I think that component is in the fish flakes.
I can't think of any other explanation for the tank going from brand new to cycling like mad in just 18 days, with no seeded filter media. I would like to know if anyone has any opinions on this.

Believe it or not...you're right on schedule. It took me 20 days for my first fishless cycle, and it took my buddy Deckape 21. I had minimal seeding material and Deckape had none. You've got to remember the the majority of threads and questions you see here are people looking for help with challenges...but the the vast majority of cycles finish quick and easy and are never mentioned.

As to the scientific aspect of it...here's a good article that can explain it better than I'm able.
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Nitrogen_Cycle.html

Last edited:
You're on track now! Hopefully your daughter will be getting her birthday wish. Keep up the good work

This morning tests: Ammo 0ppm, No2 0ppm. Redosed to 4ppm ammo. If tomorrows tests are good, I will redose then do a massive water change on Friday morning and get fish late Friday afternoon...just in time for her birthday party on Saturday. I already have the buckets ready to de-chlor 25 gallons of warm water. She doesn't even know the tank is cycled yet. This will be a birthday surprise she will hopefully never forget.

JBsDad said:
This morning tests: Ammo 0ppm, No2 0ppm. Redosed to 4ppm ammo. If tomorrows tests are good, I will redose then do a massive water change on Friday morning and get fish late Friday afternoon...just in time for her birthday party on Saturday. I already have the buckets ready to de-chlor 25 gallons of warm water. She doesn't even know the tank is cycled yet. This will be a birthday surprise she will hopefully never forget.

Congrats! I was really hoping this would happen! Wonderful! Please let us know her reaction.

JBsDad said:

Fantastic and heart warming story :). Maybe sneak some fish in and put wrapping paper and a bow over the aquarium for her to open when she wakes up on her birthday? Great job sticking with it. I'm happy for you.

Back
Top Bottom