overhauling established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman731

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so I have a 28 Gal bowfront with stand that I got from petco. It has a Penguin model 150 (size B) power filter. In the filter I have the rite-size B carbon filter, and I just added a bag of Fluval biomax filter media to it as well. I was considering adding a foam/sponge to it as well, but unsure what to add to it at this point. The water here is soft and has a high PH. I want to increase the water clarity and all around condition. Should I add an airstone? Or a protein skimmer? Also, the tank came with one bulb, a F15T8NDL 18". I want to add one or two real plants, is there any plants that will grow, but not multiply, in low light? I have black sand on the bottom and some gravel. Its about 1 pound per gal, maybe a little less. Until this point it has been entirely fake/plastic decor. I just purchased a piece of drift wood that is boiling at this moment as well as a moss ball. I have 2 plecos, 2 frogs, 6 catfish and 4 tetras. I think I only have around 15" of fish in my 28 Gal, so im not overcrowded. Can I just simply add a hardy plant to the substrate I already have in place? Or are there any other beginner plants that require less lighting, c02 that I can have minimal expense?

Any low light plants will do fine with a low tech, no CO2 approach. Hornwort and anacharis from Petsmart/Petco will grow like weeds. Java ferns, anubias and crypts should also be fine.

What kind of plecos do you have? Common plecos will grow way too large for tank and uoroot and eat kive plants. Bristlenose plecos will do fine. I have one in my 20H tank and he just gently cleans up the algae from leaves.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom