OverKilled????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MiamiFishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everybody! :D

I have been reading about canister filter and how silent and good they are, so i got curious. Currently I have a OH Penguin 350b

Let me ask you this, would the Rena Filstar XP3 rated at 350 gph be an overkill for a 29 gal tank which might get planted some time soon???

I have 15 Zebra danios ( soon to be double that ), 2 crorys and 2 plecos.

The Rena XP2 is rated at 300 gph and its for 75 gal tanks, while the XP3 is for 175 ga tank. What do you guys think?? :?

The output might be a bit much for a tank that size.
Other than the current i don't think you'll have a problem.

Perhaps the Rena XP2 would be best???

Am planing on upgrading in the future..late future, to a bigger tank. So am buying with intension of using now and in the future as well...

Would the output of the XP2 be still too strong for a 29ga., will it unroot any plants if used ??

i think if the flow is positioned right it will be ok (the xp3). im not too sure if that filter has flow adjustment on the inlet/outlet tubes?

the filter does have a flow adjustment on the spraybar, but I don't know how it would effect the filters longivity/life. I have an XP2 on my 28 gal tank and I am very happy with it.

I think how you positioned the return to the tank would be the critical aspect. It is hard to over filter a tank. But, keep in mind that even if you upgrade in the future, you will still need a good filter for your current tank. Even if you don't use it for something (yeah, right ;) MTS ..) you still could do with a good quarentine tank, and it will need a filter as well.

I would get the XP2 and be happy :)

Back
Top Bottom