Overstocked advice for 20 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ranicrab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I have a 20 gal high tank and just added some new fish - I thought my calculations were ok but now am pretty sure I am overstocked - and wondering what to do. I could move our existing tank so that I could set up a bigger tank in the same spot, but that would be 2 moves now (into the bucket and back into the moved tank) and another move into the bigger tank after it is ready., which might be a while. I am thinking the stress of that might be worse than being overstocked, especially if we do weekly 50% changes and the new fish (Cory cats) are at the bottom where the others didn't ever hang out? We could also get a bigger filter (maybe put in in place with the other one so that it will be ready for a new tank?)

I have:
6 White Cloud Mountain minnows
3 emerald eye rasboras (wanted 3 more but the store didn't have them and they recommended the Cory cats)
1 cherry shrimp
6 three line Cory (listed as juli Cory at the store)

Thanks for your help - everyone does seem to be getting along well...but as a newbie it is hard to tell...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410206039.359412.jpg

According to AqAdvisor.com, you're only 78% stocked in the 20 gallon high tank. Their calculations aren't perfect, but it's a good estimate. Even before I typed in your stocking, I had a feeling that you were slightly understocked.

You should probably get a couple more rasboras so that they're not stressed, and I'd say you're fine after that. I doubt that you'd have to do 50% water changes every week.

Wow - thanks! I did try that site but maybe it didn't refresh and thought I had too much? I will try again! And I should be able to get more emerald eyes in a week or so (the local shop is ordering some).

I agree. I don't think it is overstocked at all! Just about right :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom