Overstocked? (Or about to be)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alpha

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay, so a little history.. My girlfriend decided to get these haunted looking fish called GloFish Tetras. She also decided to do the majority of this without any prior research whatsoever, so after purchasing 3, she plopped them into a small 3 gallon tank that WalMart assured her would be plenty of room for them...

Well it wasn't. Obviously. So I have taken it upon myself to raise these creatures and keep them healthy to the best of my abilities. I'm a full-time student with no job etc etc so I'm working with what I have. There is no possible way for me to "upgrade my tank" or "return these fish" etc. Not here. Not yet. I've already looked. So anyway back to the problem.

So now these 3 GloFish Tetras are inhabiting my Aqueon 25 gallon tall tank, which wouldn't be a probably except for.. well there were fish already in there :ROFLMAO:

So now, my 25 Gallon Tall tank contains:
3 GloFish Tetras (~2in)
1 Mixed Fruit Tetra (I have no idea why) (~1&1/2in)
1 Golden Dojo Loach (~4in)
1 Otto Cat (~2in)
1 Angelfish (~3&1/2in)
and a snail woooohoooo.

Yes, I am aware the Loach and Otto prefer groups, and the angel would fancy a partner. However, as I stated in the topic, I'm worried this is overstocked. I feel my tank was decent before the tetras were added in terms of being stocked, but now I feel as if I'm quite overstocked, or if not, I will be once these creatures reach adult sizes. I'm hoping (fingers crossed) my loach will not grow 6" in the next ~9months so I CAN afford to upgrade my tank. Until then, advice or opinions on what to do would be appreciated.

Questions:
Could I possibly add another Otto cat? Two?
Could I possibly add a mate to the angelfish?
AM I OVERSTOCKED?

25 Gallon Tall Aqueon w/ Two HOB Filters; Semi-heaviily planted tank

Feedback would be much appreciated, and thank you SO much in advance.:)

In light of all the issues you are aware of I think you can handle the situation as long as you monitor your water quality and keep up on water changes. Keep an eye on aggression issues and do what you can to minimize it. Btw, a solitary angel is fine. I definitely wouldn't add more to the mix though.

I think you would be safe to add 2 more Glo lights to give them a little better school. You could also add 2 more otos. I wouldnt add another angel til you get something larger.

Thank you for the quick replies! I keep a very good eye on water quality and do 25% water changes at LEAST twice a week. No one has been aggressive as of yet, however, I did notice my tetras stopped schooling about 2 weeks ago but blew it off as boredom. Maybe added ones will help them to school again? Thanks again!

I'll check back in after my next class.

Do the glo tetras and the mix fruit tetra look the same?
Like this?

image-1613548437.jpg

They are white skirt tetras. The glo ones are genetically modified and the fruit tetra is a dyed fish. They should/will school together. You can add two more glo, fruit, white or black skirt tetras to complete the school. I would advise against the dyed fish. They do better in larger groups of 8+ IME. They get nippy otherwise.

To me the tank sounds fine for now. You know you will need to upgrade eventually.

Last edited:
Just got out of class.
Thanks yet again for the replies and that link :cool:
And yes, I'm aware I will have to upgrade eventually I am just trying to keep these little guys as comfortable as possible in the given situation until then. and yes, they look just like the ones in that picture but dyed. Definitely not a fish I would have chosen, given the chance, but I was not about to watch them perish in the walmart-recommended 3 gallon "DESIGNED" for those fish :banghead:

The mixed-fruit tetra use to school with the GloFish, but as I stated before, they've quit for some reason :( Maybe adding one more would set it off but I'm not sure.

Definitely won't be adding anymore than the possible 5th Tetra until I can upgrade, just glad to hear that this set-up should work for now. Thank you guys so much for the overwhelming support and help. Much appreciated. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom