Oxygen problem in cycled tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teejay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

Let me give you a brief background. I have a 90l Fluval Roma, had plants in for one week with everything running, it's quite a planted tank with four anubias, two java fern, some java moss, three hygros. Then added two tiger barbs. A fish-in cycle, but I didn't know any better at the time. After two weeks it seemed cycled, with 0 ammo 0 nitrite and 15-30 nitrate. Left it another 9 days, checked levels (they were fine again), and out went the tiger barbs (they were on loan) and in came 6 black neon tetras. This was yesterday.

But the tetras are moving their mouths open and closed a lot. Otherwise they seem well, fed voraciously this morning, and shoaling together. But the mouth moving is worrying me. They are not gasping at the surface, but are moving their mouths a lot. Perhaps a lack of oxygen? The filter is producing a strong current at the surface, although I removed the cap which produces bubbles as I read this is bad for CO2 retention, which is bad for plants.

Otherwise not sure what to do. I haven't cleaned the filter yet, as I wanted to let the bacteria settle in. But perhaps I should clean it now? Maybe it's clogged up and that is reducing water movement within the tank? But I've just upped the bioload, and so really don't want to disturb what bacteria there is! Generally when should someone clean a filter in a tank that is building bacteria capacity?

Could also do a water change, but reluctant to disturb the fish more since they've just moved in and will be settling into new water.

I could put the cap (venturi valve) back on for a bit? To increase oxygen before I clean filter later down the line? Or maybe this is just the fish getting used to new water? I remember the barbs did this a bit then seemed to stop.

Your wise words would be much apprecaited!

If you are doing a fish in cycle then water changes are a must. Ammonia build up will kill them faster than o2 deprivation. I believe with the latter they would be at the surface. I would not be too worried about gassing out any CO2 at this point. You are not injecting CO2 and keeping your fish alive is the priority at the moment.

Low O2 and high ammonia would result in fish gasping at the surface. Your bacteria was grown to manage the bioload of 2 tiger barbs. It is possible that there may have been a small ammonia spike whilst the bacteria catches up with the new bioload. But if your parameters are good then I wouldn't worry too much. My neons Seem to do this now and then but my other fish don't. I don't think O2 is a problem. Keep tabs on them and keep us updated. They should be ok though.

Thanks people, much appreciated. I'll keep an eye on things and do a water change soon as possible. You don't think say a 20% water change will upset the new fish at all? Hope not.

My other real concern is how/when to clean the filter cartridges when still cycling. Should I just leave them so as not to disturb the bacteria? Is it normal to just let filters ride out while cycling? Or maybe just rinse them a little in tank water now? I can't seem to find clear answers to this one online.

I wouldn't touch the filters yet. Once cycling is finished I usally just rise the filter is disguarded tank water once a month during a PWC.

Back
Top Bottom