Pair of discus or angelfish in 20G tall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gnhk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, i recently setup my freshwater tropical 20G tall aquarium with a juwel bioflow 300 ltr/h filter. Do you think I can keep a pair of discus or angelfish in it? If yes, what other smaller fish i can keep with them and how many? Thanks in advance for your kind suggestions.

A 20 gallon is not big enough for adult discus to house them humanely and barely big enough for adult Angelfish. Would you consider instead a school or two of tetras or danios or the smaller barbs?

Even with 300 l/h filteration? We prefer keeping fish which can grow to 4-5in atleast. Will it be a good plan to get baby discus and move to a 55/75G tank after a year maybe?

It's not so much the flow rate (though I run at least 2-3x that) but the amount of water changes you plan on doing each week, regular testing, and cycling plan.

It's partly the filtration but also the physical space. Large fish simply need more space.Filtration is certainly helpful and necessary but frequent water changes are the rule for Discus.

Discus need near pristine water, warm water, and frequent water changes.
Yes, you can get young ones - they are much cheaper, but be sure to be ready to put them in a larger tank later.

If you are not an experienced fish keeper, I would not get Discus. Angels are easier.

Tks guys, very helpful. I'll go with a pair of young angel fish as the center then. Which other fish and how many I can keep with them? And guidance on the introduction sequence into the tank is much appreciated. Cheers

I wouldn't put anything else with your angels at all in a 20g. Well, maybe you can get by with a small group of corys, but beyond that, your tank will be overstocked.

I keep my breeding pair of angels in a 20tall..24x12..
No others with them..
I agrre on a big no for the discus in a 20 even with DAILY 90% waterchanges,just not enough room...
If you end up with angels that do not get along there is no place for one to seek shelter in the 20, so 'issues' can blow up real quick...
Start with small angels if you really want them..In the long run they are not nice fish in a tight community tank IMO...The name is wrong,they should have been called devil fish..

No the tank is too small. I have a 24 gallon and I wouldn't keep angelfish or discus due to the size of the adults.

Back
Top Bottom