Paranoid thermometer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have one of those standard glass thermometers with a suction cup attached inside my 10G tank. It's the cheapo kind with the little gray balls in the bottom and a red, waxy bit right above it. Is that red stuff just wax to keep everything in place? The actual red alcohol that actually provides the reading seems to be contained inside a tube within the outer tube. The reason I ask is that some of the red waxy part looks like it has "leaked" down into the gray balls. As far as I know it has been like this since I've owned it. I just want to make sure this is normal, and I'm not losing any of the alcohol from the main tube.

It seems like my temp goes down a lot easier than it used to. I first noticed it with my old heater and have recently upgraded to an Aqueon pro heater and it still happens. :blink:

Nevermind, I think I answered my own question with some google-fu. I took out the thermometer and wiped it down, and now it's reading more like what I would expect. Maybe it just had some mung on it that was somehow insulating it? Weird stuff.

Back
Top Bottom