Pearl Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foskett96

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I this morning when I went to feed my community tropical tank I noticed that my pearl gourami stayed at the back corner of my tank a lot and when it came out to eat it would always have it's right fin clamped to it body. Please help me I am worried about my gourami.

Is the tank cycled? How long has it been set up? What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? When is the last time you did a water change?

We need to know your water parameters and a bit of history to be able to help fully. IME, clamped fins and inactivity are usually related with water quality issues, but there are othe options as well like parasites or several diseases. The questions librarygirl asked are imprtant. Also, is there a chance a different fish is bullying it? How long has that ifhs ben in the tank? Any recent tank additions?

I recently got 2 Pearl Gourami's myself. The female died and male looked strong. But recently my tetra's have been starting nipping at the fins. It's something that just started because they never showed any aggretion towards other species.

You mention that yours are also in a community tank? What are his tank mates? He might just get bullied into a corner.

The tank is cycled. The water parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 5. It's tank mates are 5 black widow tetras, 5 mollies, 5 silver sharks, 6 gibbecept plecos, 2 synodontis eruptus catfish, 1 gold gourami, 1 blue gourami. I have recently added 4 clown loaches. I never see my fish picking on each other except every now and then my gouramis will chase each other and sometimes 1 of my mollies will chase my blue gourami. But they never do any damage to each other. Please help I will try and post a picture in about 45 minutes.

Umm it's a 75g. But I never see any of my fish being aggressive.

Pearls can be shy though, so even chasing can send them on the run. Those silver sharks might get territorial at night when you are alseep.
How long ago did you get the gourami?

I got it about 1 month ago. But I could never see my sharks get aggressive they were one of my most timid fish.

I just went to tale a photo if my gourmai and he was swimming using both fins but with the fin I was talking about before it was clamped closed like not fanned out but it was using both fins to swim

But they are more active at night. So, you wouldn't see it. But, it may not be them, that was just an idea. Since the gourami has been in there for awhile, your params are good, and no other ifsh is showing signs of illness, I personally think bullying is my best guess. Like I said, pearls can be shy, so chasing would be enough to send one hiding. Also, you said just one fin was clamped, and that sounds more an injury to me than anything else. You said you saw it in the morning, so whatever happened (if anything did), obviously happened when you weren't watching.

Sorry these are the best photos I can get.

Attachments

• image-1231505738.jpg
    image-1231505738.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 69
  • image-3706905420.jpg
    image-3706905420.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 64
  • image-3750635064.jpg
    image-3750635064.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 65
Yes the other fin is fanned like normal but the other one is closed but he still is using to closed one to swim.

Personally, I am still suspecting an injury. If it were water quality issues or something like that, then both fins should be clamped IMO. So, since it is one, and he is cowering, I think it could be an injury. Perhaprs from bullying, but you didn' see it, so who knows. Watch the water parameters carefully and keep an eye on the poor fishy.

If it an injury, I would just let it play out. Personally, I am not a fan of chemical fixes if possible because they have side effects on other fish and plants. As long as there is no sign of fungus or fin rot, I would just let it be. But, keep an eye on the tank for any aggression issues that pop up.
Has anything changed with his condition?

The only aggression I have ever seen is one of my male mollies will sometimes nip at my blue gourami but it doesn't hurt my gourami cause there are not sign of ripped fin or scars anywhere.

Foskett96 said:
The only aggression I have ever seen is one of my male mollies will sometimes nip at my blue gourami but it doesn't hurt my gourami cause there are not sign of ripped fin or scars anywhere.

Something that helped my gourami, was adding another gourami. I had the exact same problem as you, he just stayed in the top right corner. As soon as I added another gourami, he was happy as can be!

Back
Top Bottom