Pearl gourami questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They have not change at all. I just got the fish yesterday and they were on her. And her tank mates are: BN pelco, neon tetras, platies, snail. And I add NO salt

I would watch them closely...they may just be from being in a crowded fish store and breeder tank. My mollies had damage from fighting in a crowded tank when we got them and they looked a bit like that. If that is that they are...they will heal as long as no bacteria infection gets to them. If you are one to use Melafix...it wouldn't hurt. If it starts to grow or change...I would suspect some kind of fungus...but I am by no means any kind of expert. I have, however, had to nurse several gouramis over the last 9 months with some success. I know how hard they are to photograph...but if you get lucky...a closer shot of one of the spots would be cool.

Botanica said:
I would watch them closely...they may just be from being in a crowded fish store and breeder tank. My mollies had damage from fighting in a crowded tank when we got them and they looked a bit like that. If that is that they are...they will heal as long as no bacteria infection gets to them. If you are one to use Melafix...it wouldn't hurt. If it starts to grow or change...I would suspect some kind of fungus...but I am by no means any kind of expert. I have, however, had to nurse several gouramis over the last 9 months with some success. I know how hard they are to photograph...but if you get lucky...a closer shot of one of the spots would be cool.

I do not dose melafix. But will go get some just to have. Can I use melafix on other things too invade it is a fungus? And I'll try takin some more tonight when I feed

If it is ich you do not need medication. Just use heat if it is ich.

I've used Melafix and pimafix in the past when I think I may see an issue developing to try to aid in the natural process of healing if it's something simple. If I see any harsh fin nipping going on because of new additions finding their place in their world...I'll usually add Melafix just to aid in the fins healing. I have had to take a gourami out and put them into a hospital tank to treat with broad spectrum antibiotic due to a simple bump that turned into a huge sore as well as fungus...but you wouldn't do that in your main tank because you would kill your bio filter. This does not look like that at all...I would watch closely and wait for now.

Botanica said:
I've used Melafix and pimafix in the past when I think I may see an issue developing to try to aid in the natural process of healing if it's something simple. If I see any harsh fin nipping going on because of new additions finding their place in their world...I'll usually add Melafix just to aid in the fins healing. I have had to take a gourami out and put them into a hospital tank to treat with broad spectrum antibiotic due to a simple bump that turned into a huge sore as well as fungus...but you wouldn't do that in your main tank because you would kill your bio filter. This does not look like that at all...I would watch closely and wait for now.

Ok I'll keep my eye on it. And go to petco and hopefully get some of the melafix. Can someone post a picture of what it looks like?

It's in a cobalt blue plastic bottle and is by API. ;-). Make sure you plenty of oxygen in your tank if raising the temp and using Melafix...add an air pump if you aren't using one.

Botanica said:
It's in a cobalt blue plastic bottle and is by API. ;-). Make sure you plenty of oxygen in your tank if raising the temp and using Melafix...add an air pump if you aren't using one.

I have two airdrome currently going in my tank. And what should I increase the temp too?

That doesn't look like ich. The spots are too big. It looks like a fungal infection to me but it's hard to be sure from the pictures.

Tyler3533 said:
I have two airdrome currently going in my tank. And what should I increase the temp too?

I don't know that you need to raise the temp...I don't think she has ich...if that's why you were changing the temp. What do you normally keep your tank at?

We keep ours in the low 80s with success so far and no infections of any kind....fungal or bacterial. I didn't mean to have the temp so high when we began but I had a cheap heater and a not so great thermometer. The tank was up and running successful for over a year with no illness or loss of any kind when we decided to get a large (135) tank. My husband got me a fancy digital instant temp pen to make water changes easier to temp match and I discovered that I was keeping that tank at 85! The fish were happy as can be...so I left it. Both of our tanks are 82-84 and so far....knock on wood...disease/parasite/infection free. I'm sure it won't work for every fish...but so far the ones I have are doing great.

Laser said:
That doesn't look like ich. The spots are too big. It looks like a fungal infection to me but it's hard to be sure from the pictures.

If it was could I treat it with melafix?

Botanica said:
I don't know that you need to raise the temp...I don't think she has ich...if that's why you were changing the temp. What do you normally keep your tank at?

We keep ours in the low 80s with success so far and no infections of any kind....fungal or bacterial. I didn't mean to have the temp so high when we began but I had a cheap heater and a not so great thermometer. The tank was up and running successful for over a year with no illness or loss of any kind when we decided to get a large (135) tank. My husband got me a fancy digital instant temp pen to make water changes easier to temp match and I discovered that I was keeping that tank at 85! The fish were happy as can be...so I left it. Both of our tanks are 82-84 and so far....knock on wood...disease/parasite/infection free. I'm sure it won't work for every fish...but so far the ones I have are doing great.

I keep the water at 78

Tyler3533 said:
If it was could I treat it with melafix?

Pimafix is for fungal...usually right next to the Melafix. You can add both together...but I usually go with 1/2-3/4 the recommended dose of each.

Botanica said:
Pimafix is for fungal...usually right next to the Melafix. You can add both together...but I usually go with 1/2-3/4 the recommended dose of each.

Which on would you suggest. I only want to get one bottle

Which on would you suggest. I only want to get one bottle

I would do both together but if you can only do one I'd go for pimafix. I'm not sure it's a fungal infection but that's what it looks like to me.

Laser said:
I would do both together but if you can only do one I'd go for pimafix. I'm not sure it's a fungal infection but that's what it looks like to me.

Yep...I agree. They are designed to work together tho...;-)

Don't the pearls have the spots on them? I've got the moonlight gouramis that look just like that but are solid pearl white with no spots.

Ohhh......my mistake. After looking again, l see the spots you're referring to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom