Penguin 100 filter stopped working :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudemancm92

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So this is my first time owning a fish, so I bought a 10 gallon marineland fishtank. its freshwater and I had it set up and running yesterday. Today, I bought the fish, rocks and fake plant, but after I put everything into the tank, the filter stopped working entirely. I tried to unplug it and plug it back in, but no luck. any advice??

Pull the intake tube up and down a few times

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't know how to troubleshoot, but if it doesn't start working, then return it and get an aquaclear filter. Mine has been going for a year atleast.

When you say "stopped working", what do you mean? Is the motor running but not sucking water? Is it completely dead when you plug it in? Have you pulled the impeller out to make sure nothing is jammed in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ohh, i forgot to mention before, you need to prime these filters with water to start the siphon.. that's probably all it is..

Well, I ended up unplugging it and shaking it. It works now, just don't know for how long lol and radmax8, it was completely dead when I'd plug it in.

Grrrr.....those penguins! Mine does the same thing :/ Nice quiet filters otherwise though.

Hmm sounds like either a wonky electrical connection or maybe the impeller wasn't in right. I used a Penguin 150 for two and a half years and never really had any mechanical/electrical issues with it.

On another note, can you fit two filters in there? I recommend doing this, as the bacteria grows in the filter media, and so when you replace the filter you lose a ton of your bacteria. Just a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom