Petco Emplyess wrong? Stocking Questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rocktrns

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I have a 10 gallon fish tank with three zebra danios in it. I was asking the people once its cycled can I put more fish in it,and one guy said no my tank is already over stocked with half inch zebra danios? one Guy said yes I can who is right.

Also here is my stocking list
3 zebra danios
5 neon tetras
2 cory cats.
1 Male betta

I say that you can't add more for the most part. Danios would prefer a longer tank than a 10g. Are they regular danios or the giant ones?

regular danios as they are zebras.

that tank is pretty much stocked at 10g.

no there this small
Zebra_Danio.jpg

regular zebra danio. good fish, I got about a dozen maybe less now but they are neat to watch.

hi rockturns
maybe think about getting a small school of pygmy cories to go with your danios, as you are interested in schooling fish.
i wil admit that the bio-load would be pretty full with that, but they will swim in different areas of the tank, so in that way i don't think it will be too crowded.
obviously others may have a different opinion, just a suggestion.

also, it is true that the danios would prefer a longer tank, but i kept a school of 6 danios in a 10g before and they were fine. they are so active that there is no way that they wont get enough swimming exercise!

The only fish I'd think about adding with your current setup would be a couple more neons, or a couple more danios, but like I said, they would prefer a longer tank.

The good thing about a 10g tank is that it is extremely easy to change out 5-7 gallons of water and get your nitrates down to nothing.

ok I'm going to add about four neon tetras once the tank is cycled then I'm going to get a 20 gallon filter.

I wouldnt add anymore but neons if you wanted to. Id look for a 20 long on craigslist.

The bioload isn't as big of deal as the swimming room with the fish you have. The danios like a lot of swimming room. To me that is like having three four year olds stuck in the bath room and given as many chocolate bars as they want. The betta is hanging around watching the neons becuase sometimes they like to nip at nice flowing fins. The corys are minding their own business . So even if you do keep your nitrates, nitrites and ammonia down with large water changes you still will have stressed fish.

Maybe a pleco?

Uh no. Even the smallest pleco will get too big for a 10. A pleco at full growth can range from 4-5 inches to well over a foot depending on the type of pleco. For that small a tank, and for an algae eating fish, I'd suggest otos. But the poster didn't have either on his stocking list.

My mom says I can't get another tank so.
I will just get 4 neons,and later on get 2 pygmies,and maybe some ghost shrimp.

I think you will be stocked with the neons. I wouldn't add any more cories nor ghost shrimp.

What if I added a more powerful filter.
I found this tank online.
img_1066641_0_ca962b65c95a8b24316301dbeba5b8ba.jpg

1 betta
1 cory cat
3 mickey mouse platies
4 zebra danios
4 neon tetras

A lot of fish tanks on youtube, as I have come to find, are overstocked, sometimes to the extreme. I'm sure you could find a video of 2 oscars in a 55g (I've seen it) which is ridiculous.

It's about swimming room and not whether the fish will physically "fit" into the tank. Filtration won't add more swimming room to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom