ph and angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildcatcrzy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I did a pwc last night and my ph jumped to 8. I put some ph down in it and checked again this morning and it hasn't moved. Any suggestions?

Don't use chemical pH adjustors, they're very unreliable and can cause random pH spikes.

The best bet would leave your pH as is, and your fish will adapt.

Also if you want to naturally lowest your pH try using driftwood that will leach tannins or peat moss. However I'm pretty sure there is some preparations to make the peat moss aquarium safe

I would not muck around with PH up/down that's one of the easiest ways to stress out your fish.

If you need to raise PH add crushed coral.
If you need to lower PH add peat/ wood.

They do sell peat in little pellets I believe they are put out by Fluval and a few others. There's no need to add any chemicals to a tank besides ferts, meds and water conditioner.

My angels are doing fine in my water of a ph of 7.8-8. From what I've read if you are dead set on ph lowering would not be to use chemicals or but to do PWC with a mix of RO/tap water. Provided math skills and results may vary. I'd just leave it where it's at.

Back
Top Bottom