Ph/high ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishtankkeeper

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys today I bought a API Freshwater Master Test Kit and i'm confused about what I need to test (high ph or just ph). If it is based on the fish I have 1 balloon molly, 1 common pleco, and 2 cory cats. Please help.:huh:

Did you test the pH and scan the readings(Compare to the color board)? What are the results, and we will determine if its good or not.

And for extra info, for these fish, i would opt for a pH of arround 7.2-7.3
You're molly is good for up to 7.8, but you're pleco and cory are arround 7.5 max.

So keeping it at arround 7.3 is fine:)

Hi guys today I bought a API Freshwater Master Test Kit and i'm confused about what I need to test (high ph or just ph). If it is based on the fish I have 1 balloon molly, 1 common pleco, and 2 cory cats. Please help.:huh:

For those fish your gonna want to use the regular pH test and NOT the high pH as those fish do not require a high pH.

7.2 pH you'll be spot on

image-496047796.jpg

If the regular pH test shows 7.6, then test using the high pH test to find your true number. Higher pH is nothing to worry about as long as it remains stable. Certain ver sensitive fish like discus may be a problem. But for the most part, fish can adapt. I keep angels, plecos, gouramis, tetras, etc. in 8.3pH with no problems. Fish may not breed in higher pH though.

Bad news since my tank is so new my ph and ammonia are through the roof
ph-7.6
ammonia-8.0ppm
nitrite and nitrate are both 0
I am about to do an emergency partial water change.

ph-7.6
ammonia-8.0ppm

7.6 isn't bad at all. Stability is key remember that, for the ammonia do your water changes and get that number down. Has the tank been cycled?

7.6 isn't bad at all. Stability is key remember that, for the ammonia do your water changes and get that number down. Has the tank been cycled?
I wish it was cycled. I got it like 2 weeks ago and put like 5-6 fish in immediately and now I have 2 left of the original and 2 cory cats which are new.

Does anyone know a good brand of sink to tank siphon that I could buy at petco? At the moment to change water I am using some cooking pots which probably isn't the best.

Fishtankkeeper said:
ph-7.6
ammonia-8.0ppm

Hope that's a typo that your ammonia is 8ppm. That's a very lethal amount. If I were you I would return the fish to the store and continue a fishless cycle. It's soooo much easier, and kinder to your fish. Petco sells Aqueon water changers. It's a lifesaver.

Hope that's a typo that your ammonia is 8ppm. That's a very lethal amount. If I were you I would return the fish to the store and continue a fishless cycle. It's soooo much easier, and kinder to your fish. Petco sells Aqueon water changers. It's a lifesaver.
I can't return them I don't think petco takes them back.:(
The good news is I did 2 water changes and it has gone down to between 1-2ppm.:). Also thanks to you and Convict2161 for the siphon suggestions!:dance:

I can't return them I don't think petco takes them back.:(
The good news is I did 2 water changes and it has gone down to between 1-2ppm.:). Also thanks to you and Convict2161 for the siphon suggestions!:dance:

I've done fish in cycles on all my fresh waters tanks since day one. IF your good with your testing, don't over feed and seriously stay on top of your water changes you can get through it! You may have to do several water changes back to back if need be BUT do them, your fish will thank you.

Don't get discouraged, it's work yes but it will be worth it in the end. Just make sure you stay with it and don't give up!!

ph-7.6
ammonia-8.0ppm
Yeah, how much % of water? I would do 50% of water twice a day that day until the levels go down.

Back
Top Bottom