PH Levels new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickb144

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. Just joined up couple of days ago. Please can anyone help and advise me on the use of PH level additives. I am still at the "learning how to..." stage of fish keeping ! My levels in new tank (without fish yet) are 8.0. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels all pretty good now. Ammonia showing at 0.25 others are zero. I am thinking of adding catfish, cardinal tetras, angel fish and a few other compatible species not decided on yet. Tank is 110 litres. Should I be concerned with this PH level with regards to fish I thinking of keeping and should I consider adding API PH DOWN to bring it down closer to 7.0 or just under. Are they any good or do they cause more trouble than good ? I have read some opinions that most bred tropical fish are pretty hardy and should be able to adapt as long as PH is kept stable ? Thanks. Regards Nick

My understanding is that fish can acclimate to any Ph over time and that trying to chase an ideal Ph is very difficult and effects other tank parameters. In addition, when you do water changes the new water will then be different from the tank water, causing swings which will create more "chasing the dragon".

Anyone else?

Thanks very much for advice. I will leave PH alone. The less bottled additives i can avoid adding to my tank the better i think. Can't believe how many different additives you can buy. Seems like there's a bottle of something for everything !! Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom