pH of 8, a problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizzyBeth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Apparently with the api high range pH test kit I have a pH of 8 instead of 7.6. (I only had the regular kit before, so it showed as a deep blue, admittedly a bit off the scale).

Atm I have a 29g and a 10g (the 10g for use as quarantine) just started cycling and the pH reads at 8 for both. Fishless cycling. I plan to leave a bit of water out overnight to test to make sure of the pH in my tap water (as opposed to something I've added to the tanks).

So my question is, is a pH of 8 going to be a problem? Or will slowly drip acclimating the fish do the trick? I was planning to stock flame tetras, peppered cories, zebra danios, and a pearl gourami. Will this pH be too high for these guys?

I know these are sort of a stupid questions. I've read that you shouldn't worry about pH, but to just keep things stable. For years, we used the pH down (I know better now), but now I'm freaking out about it being high and higher than I originally thought. So I'm sorry for being stupid and freaking out, but I'd really like to know if this is going to be problematic once everything is cycled. I've read mixed things about fish being able to adjust to a pH of 8 is all.

I also have a ph of 8. I have various tetras, a dwarf gourami, an alb cory, and an african dwarf frog in one tank, a goldfish and mystery snail in an another, and a tiger oscar in a 3rd tank. Everyone is doing well. I agree that most fish seem to do fine in a higher ph as long as it is stable. Just acclimate them slowly.

+1
Dont worry! My ph also sits around 8 as well. Stability & proper acclimation is the key to happy, healthy fish. Its also possible since you are doing a fishless cycle that the ammonia that was added has bumped the ph up a bit because ammonia is very alkaline. Lets see how your tap numbers look!

-Update-
I tested my tap water after leaving it out overnight, and it has a pH of 8 as well. Although I suppose it could be at 7.8 as the color looked between 7.8 and 8 but closer to 8; stupid judgement calls on the colorations is annoying lol. Either way it is my tap water that has a high pH.

Thanks for the feedback you two. It helps to know that proper acclimation will work.

How long would you say it generally takes to drip acclimate fish for such a high pH? I've read that you shouldn't acclimate any longer than an hour, but I've also read otherwise. Again thanks for the feedback.

Check out U-tube for how-to videos on drip acclimation- this will give you the best explanation for how to approach this! An hour does not seem long enough to me to properly acclimate a fish but this is just my opinion. Everyone has a bit of different method for doing this but I suggest you take your time to avoid unneeded stress. Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom