PH problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

critter333294

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently tested my aquarium water and found it was drastically lower than my tap. My tank is cycling so there are no fish to worry about yet. Still, how did this happen and can it be fixed? I have pet store bought ornaments and no live plants or driftwood. Aquarium PH=6.5 , Tap=7.

Not that big a difference. I would not worry about it until the cycle is finished. If you want to bring it back up, you could do a water change. Does it keep going down or has it stabilized?

like rich said as long are you have no fish to worry about it should be ok, keep an eye on it and see if it stabilizes.

What size tank do you have? I would add baking soda to bring the pH back up around 7.2-7.5. I can give you an estimation of how much you need to add if I know the amount of water. The baking soda will not adversely affect the cycle and will be removed by your large PWC prior to addition of fish. It's the safest way to increase the pH of the tank and will help to speed up the cycle.

7Enigma said:
What size tank do you have? I would add baking soda to bring the pH back up around 7.2-7.5. I can give you an estimation of how much you need to add if I know the amount of water. The baking soda will not adversely affect the cycle and will be removed by your large PWC prior to addition of fish. It's the safest way to increase the pH of the tank and will help to speed up the cycle.

Really? I didnt know that. I have a 29g. I read your other topic and thought it had some good info

Baking soda (NOT baking powder) is commonly used in planted tanks where we inject CO2 which causes the pH to drop. In low KH tanks (baking soda increases the KH value), the pH can swing drastically when the CO2 is being injected. We add baking soda to limit the pH swing. Baking soda has the added benefit in low pH tanks of increasing the pH (as it will buffer upwards of pH8 depending on how much is added).

I would add a 1/2 teaspoon and check your pH (give it an hour or so to mix thoroughly). That will not raise the KH much, but might be enough to keep your pH closer to 7. If your still under 7.0 I'd probably use another 1/2 teaspoon. For reference I add 1/4teaspoon to every 5 gallons of tank water during my PWC's to increase the KH from 2 degrees to ~5.

Note for others reading this is ONLY for FISHLESS CYCLING. We don't have to be "nice" about changing parameters slowly when no fish/inverts are present. We want the optimal conditions for bacterial growth, which as mentioned is ~7.5 as a compromise between the 2 bacterial types needed.

Well I tested my levels today and ammonia went down again, still no nitrites, didnt test nitrates though. But that's not why i'm posting here again. I tested my ph a few days ago and it was at 7. This was in broad daylight. I got that 6.5 reading at night. So i'm thinking......maybe it's been 7 all along(it was 7 today) and I just got a false reading from bad lighting. Do you think I should still add baking soda though?

critter333294 said:
Well I tested my levels today and ammonia went down again, still no nitrites, didnt test nitrates though. But that's not why i'm posting here again. I tested my ph a few days ago and it was at 7. This was in broad daylight. I got that 6.5 reading at night. So i'm thinking......maybe it's been 7 all along(it was 7 today) and I just got a false reading from bad lighting. Do you think I should still add baking soda though?

No I would not add baking soda then. These color tests are so variable due to lighting you always need to check under the same conditions. I always go the a window to take my readings as most of our lights are yellow which will throw off the percieved color of the tube.

And umm, if ammonia went down, and you have no nitrItes, you umm...are probably finished the cycle.... :D

Dose back to 2ppm ammonia and check again in 24hours. If no ammonia or nitrIte you are done!

7Enigma said:
critter333294 said:

No I would not add baking soda then. These color tests are so variable due to lighting you always need to check under the same conditions. I always go the a window to take my readings as most of our lights are yellow which will throw off the percieved color of the tube.

And umm, if ammonia went down, and you have no nitrItes, you umm...are probably finished the cycle.... :D

Dose back to 2ppm ammonia and check again in 24hours. If no ammonia or nitrIte you are done!

LOL. Slow down there. Ammonia went down to 1ppm from like 2. And I did the shrimp method instead of dosing it :p So I guess there's no way for me to test my bacteria once my cycle's done. The shrimp is almost fully decomposed though.....it's about a quarter of the size it was when I first put it in.

critter333294 said:
7Enigma said:
critter333294 said:

LOL. Slow down there. Ammonia went down to 1ppm from like 2. And I did the shrimp method instead of dosing it :p So I guess there's no way for me to test my bacteria once my cycle's done. The shrimp is almost fully decomposed though.....it's about a quarter of the size it was when I first put it in.

Sure there is. Take the shrimp out of the tank and put it in the fridge or something for 24hours. Watch your ammonia levels. If they go down quickly to zero you might be finished. Otherwise stick the shrimp back in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom