pH question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmybliss

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

I know pH isn't the most critical part of my tank, as fish can acclimate, but mine is pretty high. It's currently sitting at 8.2. I'm I am the middle of week 2 of a fish in cycle on a 15 gallon with 2 messy little platys.

Today's levels:

pH- 8.2
Ammonia - less than .25
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0

Should I be concerned about my pH and try to lower it? Or should I just leave it and trust that any fish I add will adjust?

Thanks for any advice :)

When was the last time you changed your water? Your water could of lost its PH buffers that keep PH at a level. Test your tap water. I don't really know how to lower it because from what i heard once ph lowers don't work. Maybe they do though. You might want to change your water right now anyways because any amount of Ammonia isn't good.

eduguy said:
When was the last time you changed your water? Your water could of lost its PH buffers that keep PH at a level. Test your tap water. I don't really know how to lower it because from what i heard once ph lowers don't work. Maybe they do though.

I changed it today to get rid of the ammonia. My tap water tests at the same 8.2 as the tank. I'm using a water conditioner with each pwc, not prime, but I plan to get some of that once this stuff is gone.

I changed it today to get rid of the ammonia. My tap water tests at the same 8.2 as the tank. I'm using a water conditioner with each pwc, not prime, but I plan to get some of that once this stuff is gone.

Ammonia is more toxic at high ph. <Random fact :D Try googleing how to lower ph. That might work.

My tap water tests at 8.2 and my dad was really worried so we got a medium piece of driftwood and after a few days to a week my ph tests at 8.0 now. You could also add peat moss to your filter but I read it can leak tannins into the water which is harmless, just a little unsightly if you don't like tinted water. Driftwood can also leech tannins but if you boil the piece for a few hours it shouldn't leech anymore. Let me see if I can post a link to my thread about this exact same thing...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/ph-8-2-a-223268.html

your platy will adjust though you can add some driftwood to the tank and it will lower it a bit. I would recommend against using any ph lowering products as this will cause too many fluctuations and is worse than the higher ph.

I know some people use a mix of RO water and tap water in their tanks to lower ph as well but that can be a bit of a pain.

The PH from your tap is 8.2, have you let it sit out and gas out and test it? Just put some water in a container for 24 hours and stir it up every once in a while. A lot of the time your PH will change after gassing out giving you your true PH. If you are doing frequent/daily water changes your tank PH may be running a bit higher than it will naturally be once it is cycled - because you are adding new water with a higher ph which won't allow it to reach it's true PH if it is different.

I hope that makes sense. lol.

What's your eventual stocking plan? Live bearers do fine with a higher ph but of course many other fish prefer softer water (but can usually adjust ok). Whether they will thrive or spawn depends on the fish. My ph also tests at 8.2 out of the tap but after letting it sit out for at least 24 hours or so and all the driftwood I've added it tests at about 7.5 now. Here's a useful vid:

How to lower pH in an Aquarium - Tips and Advice by Tyne Valley Aquatics - YouTube

Thanks everyone for all the great advice!

I am pretty much doing daily pwc and wondered if that would have an effect. I'll retest my tap and see if I get the same after letting it sit. I guess I won't worry too much until my cycle is done as the platies seem pretty happy.

I wanted driftwood, so I'm happy to know that it will help. Am I right in thinking more driftwood = lower pH? I also plan on adding in live plants.

My stocking plans aren't set in stone yet, but I do know I don't want fry if I can avoid it. Too much trouble in a small tank! I'm thinking a school of nanofish and maybe some pygmy cories or shrimp. I was also hoping for 1 or 2 showier guys since my betta won't be joining the community.

Back
Top Bottom