pH question during cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Presumably you have come here because your other sources werent working for you. But if you prefer to take advice off your FB groups thats entirely up to you.

Ive given you a detailed method for cycling a tank both fish in or fishless. They have worked to get peoples tanks cycled in the past. You can either use them or not.

If a water change crashes your cycle you are doing it wrong. The bacteria responsible for your cycle lives on surfaces like your substrate, the glass, decorations, but mostly in you filter media. A water change isnt removing any of this beneficial bacteria or at least none to any meaningful degree. What it will do is remove waste which will be poisoning your fish. But if the health of your fish isnt a priority then no need to change water.

Anyhows. Im not going to be able to add anything new or different to the topic so im going to duck out from your threads now. Good luck with everything.

The last time I did a water change I only took water out, I did not touch the rocks or the substrate and it stalled my cycle. I am just telling you what I have been told no need to get snippy. I am looking for help.

Changing water is essential for fish in cycles. From your other thread.

Without water changes waste builds up in uncycled tanks until it gets to toxic levels. So your fish need some help from you doing water changes. Both of your tanks need water changes. Topping up following evaporation isnt the same, because evaporated water doesnt take the waste with it. There are 2 parts to a water change. Removing water and waste along with it, and refilling with clean water.

I think you are confused on which fish tank I am talking about, this is the 55 gallon long that I only have 1 mollie in, I had 4 but 3 died…. The 55 gallon long is the one that has the low pH…

Can you explain what you just said? What is dolomite powder or jbl aquador. And is potassium bicarbonate baking soda?

No sodium bicarbonate is baking soda and we don’t want to be adding sodium to an aquarium. Dolomite powder you can get from eBay. It’s a natural rock that consists of calcium magnesium and carbonates. The carbonates will stabilise pH and keep the biofilter operational.

Back
Top Bottom