PH won't go down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JSkogh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 30 gallon tank is a few weeks old. All of my levels are testing perfect except the PH. I can not get it lower than 7.6... Which it has been at for a long time now. My tap water tests at 8.6, so I know I got it down a bit. I know I'm probably still in the cycling phase, but I'm concerned I'm doing something wrong?!
I do have 6 zebra danios, 1 Pleco and 1 loach in the tank.
Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

My 30 gallon tank is a few weeks old. All of my levels are testing perfect except the PH. I can not get it lower than 7.6... Which it has been at for a long time now. My tap water tests at 8.6, so I know I got it down a bit. I know I'm probably still in the cycling phase, but I'm concerned I'm doing something wrong?!
I do have 6 zebra danios, 1 Pleco and 1 loach in the tank.
Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

Thats not a bad ph to have as long as it stays even

What's a bad pH to have? I disagree.

The best pH is a stable pH. Fish can acclimate to most any pH, and chances are your local fish store is using the same water as you.

What are you adding to bring your pH down?

What's a bad pH to have? I disagree.

The best pH is a stable pH. Fish can acclimate to most any pH, and chances are your local fish store is using the same water as you.

What are you adding to bring your pH down?

Sorry that was mis written i forgot a word

I'm new at all this, so I'm still learning!
I've been adding Seachem Neutral Regulator. My LFS said I need the PH at 7.0 before I can introduce Angelfish. The fish I have now seem perfectly healthy, but I don't want to harm the Angelfish!

7.6 isn't a bad pH at all, as long as it's stable. Are you testing the pH of your water straight from the tap or after it's sat for a day? I've noticed that water straight from my current tap has a pH of about 8.5 but after letting it sit for a day it goes down to about 8

From what I've been reading lately, the problem with lower/raising pH of straight tap water is that there are buffers in the water to keep pH swings from happening. Different products use different buffers of acids and conjugate bases. Seachem neutral regulator uses a phosphate buffer system which (again, from what I've read) is generally stronger than something like a bicarbonate. Your biggest problem is that your regulator has to overcome the buffer already in your tap water, which can cause mixed results.

I'm testing it straight from the tap (8.6)... But I'll let it sit for a day and test again.
My tank water is at a stable 7.5
Can Angelfish handle a PH of 7.5?

I have a tank raised angel in 7.5, moderately hard water. He/she is thriving! Now, I know that's only one fish of millions but at least I can say it's possible.

The angel will be totally fine in that.

Still concerned with how you're getting it down to 7.5, what are you using to accomplish that?

I do a 20% water change weekly and add conditioner to the water. If the water levels are still off, I add some neutral regulator. I test my water daily.

Back
Top Bottom