placement of eheim biopower filter powerhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aug

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi, new to fish, tanks, filter, forums... so in advance, thanks for your patience and advice.
The short of it:
I would very much like some advice on placing my new eheim biopower 160 filter (internal). Can the power-head stick up a bit over the water level?

The longer of it:
I just upgraded from a 30L to an 80L freshwater and am running both filters (fully submerged) until the new one is seasoned (I primed it with some crud from the old one)...
- My older/smaller internal filter specified never to run (the powerhead) above the water level. With evaporation it sometimes got a bit exposed if I was away for say a week... and I did kill one this way and had to replace it.
- The instructions for the new eheim internal suggest placing it 1cm below the water-line,but when I see pictures and video online I see people let the head stick out a bit so the "extension" is aiming the spray right at the water mark. I currently have it below and aim the extension holes 45 degrees upward so I can effect movement on the surface.
- So my question is, does it matter if the eheim powerhead is slightly above the water mark? if so, how do others handle evaporation while away (I suppose sink it deeper than 1 cm)?

Thank you in advance
Aug.

Generally for most powerheads they are placed directly under the water level. This creates a ripple effect on the surface without burning up the motor.

Though you can place it wherever you see fit to obtain good circulation.

Caleb

Thank you Caleb, I will keep it sunk then. But to be sure I understand correctly, it is better for the life of the filter to place the power head fully under water, but if for instance it were to become slighlty exposed due to some evaporation while I am away, this would not necessarily burn it up (within a few days)?

would anyone have any suggestions on how long to keep the second filter running (while the new filter builds up bacteria)? I read somewhere two weeks, would you agree? and within that breakin period, should I not rinse out the sponges at all, or would it be ok to give it a bit of shake in old aquarium water, say once a week, like I have been doing with the established media?

thanks! aug.

Thank you Caleb, I will keep it sunk then. But to be sure I understand correctly, it is better for the life of the filter to place the power head fully under water, but if for instance it were to become slighlty exposed due to some evaporation while I am away, this would not necessarily burn it up (within a few days)?

would anyone have any suggestions on how long to keep the second filter running (while the new filter builds up bacteria)? I read somewhere two weeks, would you agree? and within that breakin period, should I not rinse out the sponges at all, or would it be ok to give it a bit of shake in old aquarium water, say once a week, like I have been doing with the established media?

thanks! aug.

You can clean the filter materials whenever as long as it's in tank water.

If your going to be gone, just lower the powerhead into the tank more so it doesn't end up submerged from evaporation.

Caleb

Reactions: Aug
Back
Top Bottom