Planning 10 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bettafanatic said:
That's your opinion. I'm allowed to have my own. I think they're beautiful fish, and I'll get one if I want to. I can get cherry shrimp some other time. I can start a shrimp tank out of that old 10 gallon if I want, but I'd rather have more fish than shrimp if I'm starting a fish tank. Thank you for your input.

My huge pink gourami is every bit as inquisitive and playful as my land animals. The only time he ever bullied any other creature was when I did not realize I was overstocked in a 29 and he only picked on one fish he just hated. He is as pretty as a discus to me. :)

(((Watching and learning about shrimp keeping here :D)))

I've decided I'm going to stick with the zoo med fixture. I'll get one when I go to pick up an aquaclear filter at my lfs.

lets see. I havent talked to this guy, but he said he sells rare crypts too. I dont know how much for his rare crypt but if you dont mind buying online and dont mind prices it'll be worth a look. ill try to get you his website link soon.

lets see. I havent talked to this guy, but he said he sells rare crypts too. I dont know how much for his rare crypt but if you dont mind buying online and dont mind prices it'll be worth a look. ill try to get you his website link soon.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a look. I think I'm just going to go with some easy crypts like undulata and wendtii. Maybe spiralis too but I have to research it. But I'll give his website a look.

I'll skip the RCS then. Would the amano shrimp be okay if I keep it heavily planted?

I'd rather keep both of the schools. The only reason I upgraded to the 20 was so I could have some tetras too. I'll add two more rasboras to it.

I'd like some more opinions on the otos before I change their numbers. Drop them to two or keep at four? I could do three also.

IMO, you do not need to pick a school. 20g long is plenty enough space for those 2 schools. You also picked really good schools because the harlies will likely swim above the neons and that makes the tank look more full. :)
Yep, amano shrimp would be fine. They get bigger than rcs, and they are crazy fast little buggers.
If you want an amano, I would do 3 otos. If you skip the amano, then 4 otos is fine IMO. You may want to consider growing algae on a rock to supplement their diet. My otos eat algae wafers, but not all do. Since the tank will be planted, that is great for otos and amanos because they will feed on the biofilm that grows around plants as well as on the glass.

IMO, you do not need to pick a school. 20g long is plenty enough space for those 2 schools. You also picked really good schools because the harlies will likely swim above the neons and that makes the tank look more full. :)
Yep, amano shrimp would be fine. They get bigger than rcs, and they are crazy fast little buggers.
If you want an amano, I would do 3 otos. If you skip the amano, then 4 otos is fine IMO. You may want to consider growing algae on a rock to supplement their diet. My otos eat algae wafers, but not all do. Since the tank will be planted, that is great for otos and amanos because they will feed on the biofilm that grows around plants as well as on the glass.

I'll stick with three otos and the amanos then. Thanks for all the great advice! Does anyone know if Neon Tetras and Gold Neon Tetras are the same thing? I saw gold neons on liveaquaria.com that looked pretty. But might stick with natural neon tetras instead.

I'll try to get some algae to grow for the herbivores as well.

So the final stock list is now:

1 dwarf gourami
8 neon tetras
8 harlequin rasboras
3 otos
4 amano shrimp

Gonna be a great tank IMO. I ordered all the supplies except for the light fixture, light bulbs, and filters. I'm going with a couple of aquaclear 20s for filtration and for lighting that zoo med fixture. I also have to get the tank, but some adjustments are being made to the countertop where it'll be placed, so it'll have to wait for now. My uncle's taking a look at it tomorrow.

I have similar lighting in a 20L with java moss, banana plants, and cabomba. The banana plant are actually the shoots of a plant I bought 3-4 years ago. Easy to grow...cutting the stem from the oval surface leaves will encourage roots to grow and it can be replanted. Trying out the cabomba and it seems to be growing fine so far (2 weeks).
6 gold tetras
6 long fin blue danios
14 ghost shrimp

Can't stress the importance of quarantining new additions whether they are plants or fish! Paying for it now with a bout of Ich :(

Bettafanatic said:
That's your opinion. I'm allowed to have my own. I think they're beautiful fish, and I'll get one if I want to. I can get cherry shrimp some other time. I can start a shrimp tank out of that old 10 gallon if I want, but I'd rather have more fish than shrimp if I'm starting a fish tank. Thank you for your input.

Wasn't demanding anything of you. Don't care what you do really.

Athaocity said:
okay! that sounds good too then.
i found you the link and here it is
www.speedieaquatics.com

Thanks for the link. I really like the first one. I'll consider it. It just depends on the shipping costs because I'm getting the rest of my plants from a different website.

Back
Top Bottom