Planning for 20 gallon tall. ideas/suggestions here.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

55gallons

Aquarium Advice Regular
i am wanting to do a comunity fresh water tank with my 20gallon tall-

i do know i like this little guy - and i'd like to work my stock plans around him/her :)

crayfish01.jpg

electric blue crayfish . i seen a darker electric blue crayfish on aquabid that i just love !! its so cool lookin - what other tank mates can i have with him ? i borrowed a idea stock plan off the other 20gallon thread (30gallon tank setup actually) And someone suggested :

6-8 zebra danios
2 COOLIE LOACH ( thats a bottom guy right? can't have him with my crayfish if i get him.)
pair sunset gourami's

I WANT upper , middle and bottom fish .

What else can i get for the bottom for a tank mate for my crayfish when i get him? im not fond of snails so thats a no no . Crabs ?? i also like small catfish if i can get a pair them .. so thus brings me to askin what can i do ?lol so confusing

michael.

I'm afraid I'd have to agree the crayfish is not a community dweller.
I'd go with the gourami's the kuhli loaches and the zebra danios and maybe a few cory cats.

ok so he can't have any tank mates at all then - so a 10 gallon would be smallest i could do for that guy - what could i do to make the tank not so boring with just him in it .

so they like to get loose out the tank *crayfish* So you have to make sure the tank is sealed up including all access points in the back correct?

while reading that thread linked above (btw thanks for the link) i can give it boiled veggies and shrimp pellets .. are we talkin a boiled peice of lettuce or we talkin a couple pcs .. I don't want to over feed the guy . thanks.

edit (due to 12hr or new post rule)

Danios-

Here is one i found that is a nice color-

Danio%2520feegradei.jpg

or this zebra danio.
url]

This still seems like not alot in the tank- a 20gallon is pretty decent size .. The danios are suposed to get about 2 inches in adult hood

eek - reading a brief from a google search on kuhlis loach it said not recommended for freshly started aquariums OK - if they aren't a good idea for a newly set up tank what could i put in in place ?

heres the link i found with that info:

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=2841&view=next&sid=f4045005f5f935305d40de0903b0163d

Kuhlis are pretty hardy in my experience. I've read a lot of contrary information saying they aren't strong fish, but when talking about people's real experiences it seems that they have about the same experience as me.

6 danios
4 kuhlis
2 gourami's
4 oto catfish

This is a good stocking list. I'd only get one gourami though because the ones that are suitable for this tank, dwarves, should be kept either alone, or in a trio (1m/2f) and 3 gouramis would be too much IMO. 20g high tanks aren't very long. Longer tanks are better than tall, so stocking is a bit limited. It doesn't sound like alot of fish, but it would stock the tank. You could go with 6 smaller cories (panda, pygmy, habrosus, or trilineatus) instead of Kuhlis if you wish. Add the otos after the tank has been cycled for a couple months so that algae can build up. You could go with 8 danios instead of 6. A honey or dwarf gourami would make a nice centerpiece.

Back
Top Bottom