plant assortment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking at the Asian plant assortment on this link:

Aquarium Plants, Accessories and Assortments

Does that sound good to put in my shrimp tank? I will be changing my lighting this week also and I would disperse some of the plants to my other tanks as well....

If it doesn't sound good, then I will try to go through the site and pick out just the plants that I have been wanting, which are proving hard to find (some of them).

most sword plants like the Echinodorus Bleheri, get very large, even small ones, I think many need higher lighting.

This place says at least a 20gallon tank
Echinodorus bleheri, Amazon Sword Plant

A couple of the other ones seem to need higher lighting also, which would be like 50w+ or so on a 10G I would imagine(depends on the fixture/reflector).

Please dont take my words for fact as I'm not an expert by far

Do you have any "real" fish stores near you that may have some plants? I know the one I go to doesn't have much.

Dotti, have you tried aquabid? They usually have some good plant packages. I am looking for water sprite and wisteria. Unfortunitly I don't have a LFS store that stocks good plants. If you do have LFS check there for sure!

The reason I don't want to go with a lfs is that the last time I got a plant from them I specified "I do not want any snails!!" well that is where are my snails came from. I immediately saw them after putting in the plant from their store. I am going to try another fs about 45 minutes away today and see what they have...they are a fish only store and have a great website...so heres hoping...

If you have a planted aquarium, you're going to get snails. Even if you take the time to inspect and clean your plants, you'll get snails. Snails just tend to go hand in hand with live plants. You're better off controlling their population through ensuring that your aren't feeding too much and learning to enjoy them (or at least tolerate them).

Yeah.....I am starting to agree with Joy on that one.....I spent $18.00 on plants yesterday at an aquarium store about 40 minutes from my house (2 big plants of wisteria) and I am pretty sure the other two were java ferns, but I can't remember now. Anyway....Got them home and was putting them in my new tank and saw....guest what....little teeny snails. I tried to remove the ones I could see and shrugged my shoulders and put the plants in. I actually read on a really great shrimp site that the snails are really good for invert tanks. So...I'll be happy. ;)

I was just mentioning it since you mentioned not being fond of snails, I personally have no problems with the snails I inherited and leave them be.. I was pissed inetially but now I kinda like them and they are small and cute and making a visable difference in any algea growth that starts! not to mention my fish LOVE to eat their egg sacks that they leave everywhere underwater and above

I havent see a snail in mine for a couple days, they were small when I saw them and removed, I think I had ~30 or so total. I prob just signed my death wish saying that. Although I have more plants in there now so maybe i just cant find them, I'll prob wake up one day and have a hundred in there, lol.

Back
Top Bottom