Plant ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sam2277

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!
I got a plant for free when I purchased aquarium supplies from my LFS but I have no idea what it is and don't know how to take care of it. Should I remove it from the pot?

Thanks

cameraroll

Picture works. Not sure on plant ,for all I know that one may not even be aquatic.Pet stores sell plants that don't belong..
If it is aquatic ,then yes you want to remove it from the rock wool and plant each stem.
Hopefully a plant head will ID for you.

I see the pic now. It’s pretty and all those little white root sprouts make me think it is aquatic. I do think removing it from the rock wool would be best. Look at the stems to see if they are rotting or rooting. If they are rotten then perhaps it’s better for floating.

Thank you for all the replies :)
Any idea on how to take care of it? I have a LED bulb will that be sufficient for it? I wasn't going to start the cycle until next week but since I got the plant unexpectedly I had to set it up. I don't have any substrate or wood right now. What is recommended for this situation?

It really depends on the species. So do best in low light others have to have high.

Is your light comparable to the tank it was in at the store?

Can you call the store for specific plant info?

Without critters in your tank you may not have any nutrients for it to feed from. But maybe it won’t need it for a while.

I would call the lfs.

My light is a bit brighter than the one at the store. I'll have to try and contact another lfs to see if they have any info. I removed the plant from the pot and it didn't seem to have any roots, the stem is cut at the bottom and the roots have sprung from the sides, I might put them in gravel and see how they do

Cardamine lyrata??

Too late here - will look more tomorrow. Kind of reminds me of one seen in shops (but US would have far more selections).

The store's shipment comes in two weeks, they usually has everything but like I said I wasn't going to start the tank this week but the store gave me this as a free gift but didn't know what sp it was.

Back
Top Bottom