Planted 2.5 gallon betta build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_Fan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys i recently bought my second tank and its a Aquarius 2.5 gallon corner kit ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421604535.771937.jpg
So later today im going to buy sand, a thermometer and maybe some plants from petco. I need helping deciding how to aquascape it. Here it is now with just a few plants floatingImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421604694.969514.jpg
So please leave ideas/suggestions below thanks

Fish_Fan

Hi welcome!

A few things ...

This isn't a very busy site so it's normal to wait awhile for answers.

You're going to get a lot of opinions that this tank is too small or otherwise not great for even a betta. I know, in the store it seems like you're getting a big tank.

I believe these kinds have an under gravel filter which isn't really very effective and isn't the best with plants. The light is questionable too.

Do you have a lot of experience with fish? If so there's a small chance this would work well without the filter running with a ton if plants. Hornwort or pennywort floating all on the top.

If it's not too late I'd return it and get, at minimum, the Marineland/tetra 3 gallon kit. Tall narrow shapes are especially problematic for fish health.

Sorry I don't have better news!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

The tank does NOT have a UGF filter it has a Api filter rated up to 10 gallons. I can't return because its already cycled and i just bought a baby female betta for it! Here's a picImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421627991.733235.jpg

Fish_Fan

Well not really "cycled" i just checked the water added ammonia and did wc's. Anyone know how to get juvenile betta to be more active?

Fish_Fan

Well not really "cycled" i just checked the water added ammonia and did wc's. Anyone know how to get juvenile betta to be more active?

Fish_Fan

How long has the tank been setup? 2 days? When was the last time you added ammonia? What are the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels (you said you checked the water levels but I did not see the results posted).
Not sure what to say about the betta's activity...just hoping that no ammonia was still present when you added it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fish_Fan

you could always try feeding it live foods. It will definitely get them interested and curious! But of course, make sure whatever you feed them is small enough for them to get their mouths around or else they'll just play with it until it dies and then leave it to rot at the bottom of the tank.

Don't forget a heater. Bettas need 78 to 82 degrees to thrive. This also helps them to be more active.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do have a heater water temp is 77 and there was no ammonia present when betta was added. What live foods, Bloodworms? Thanks for the replies!

Fish_Fan

I do have a heater water temp is 77 and there was no ammonia present when betta was added. What live foods, Bloodworms? Thanks for the replies!

Fish_Fan

Oh good. It sounded like you were starting a fishless cycle and then had a betta in there and I was confused. Carry on!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fish_Fan

They can eat bloodworms or brine shrimp. I'm not too sure if juveniles will have big enough mouths to eat the worms though but full grown bettas should have no problem with it.

blood worms, daphnia, black worms, white worms, all kinds of worms. lol Seriously though I would get frozen for now and try chopping up the frozen cube of blood worms and use some daphnia. You can feed the excess to your other fish, I'm sure they would love it!Just don't feed baby too much so that it gets consitpated.

Ok thanks i probably gonna go with frozen daphnia and bloodworms. I will feed the extras to my cherries? Thanks again everyone

Fish_Fan

Back
Top Bottom