planted 20 stocking ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMantelli

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I recently planted my wife's 20 there is currently only a single yellow lab in there which will be going into my larger tank in a week or two. Well I'm trying to figure out what to stock it with. I would like a pair of kribensis but considering they get aggressive when breeding I wouldn't want to put anything else in there with them. So I was thinking about 2 male apistos a viper shrimp. And some sort of cool looking schooling fish is that possinle or would I be better off with 1m apisto 1m kribensis and some rummynose and bleeding heart tetras. I don't know much about community tank fish as I have only kept ckchlids. Any ideas would be considered I'm looking for color variety movement and intresting characters. Here's the tank now I will be adding 3 plants a month untill I have it planted to my liking.

ForumRunner_20130410_075052.jpg

You could do a gourami, and some small schooling fish like neon tetras. Just make sure it is a breed of gourami that doesn't get huge. I know opaline and gold get up to 6 inches. If you got that breed you may only want to get one.

I wouldn't put anything that big in there.
I'm thinkin it possible and someone correct me if I shouldn't
1 M apistogramma agasizzii
1 M kribensis
1 viper shrimp
10 rummy nose
10 of something else that will school with the rummynose
Is that too much or is there a conflict between the apisto and kribs

And I've considered a dwarf gourami as a center piece but there color just isn't what I'm looking for

Last edited:
I wouldn't put anything that big in there.
I'm thinkin it possible and someone correct me if I shouldn't
1 M apistogramma agasizzii
1 M kribensis
1 viper shrimp
10 rummy nose
10 of something else that will school with the rummynose
Is that too much or is there a conflict between the apisto and kribs

And I've considered a dwarf gourami as a center piece but there color just isn't what I'm looking for

I understand. The opaline is a minimal 20 gallon tank size, but it does leave less room for other fish. I don't know much about the other fish, but google can help with that.

How does this sound
A pair or a trio of Apistogramma agassizi flame
And some schooling fish
This is my first planted tank and I would like to do some sort of peaceful community but I want it to just catch the eye you know
I don't know really how many or of what kind I should pit with the apisto I'm dead set on them so what should I add with them

As long as you check the temperament and max size, minimum tank size, and bio load. If all that checks out then you are good.

Have u ever had or bred apisto flames? Are they as cool as they look in the pics? My filtration is way more than I would ever need for a 20. And I'm doubled up on the biostars so were good there. I just don't know what will look good with them without taking away from them plus I don't know really how to properly pick bow many like I said I'm looking for 2-3 small schooling fish that will school together.

Have u ever had or bred apisto flames? Are they as cool as they look in the pics? My filtration is way more than I would ever need for a 20. And I'm doubled up on the biostars so were good there. I just don't know what will look good with them without taking away from them plus I don't know really how to properly pick bow many like I said I'm looking for 2-3 small schooling fish that will school together.

I have never owned them. You should look into tetras for schooling fish, or maybe gold or rosy barbs.

So either 2 or 3 apistos flame
Mabey 10-15 tetras 3 different kinds
Would that max me out

Or rasboras or cardinals

Last edited:
The apistos only get 3" and are extremely docile but I might just go with a trio of kribs and be done with it.

You can overstock if you have a god filter and do regular water changes.

I have a fillstar xpm on the 20 it rated for tanks up to 75 gallons so I'm well filtered I don't want to really overstock as I have plants I would like the fish to have some room to do there thing

I'd do

2 apistos
2 kribs
6 cherry barbs
6 cardinal tetra

That would look nice and you get the 2 dwarf cichlids you want plus 2 schools. I'm pretty sure you'd be maxed out at that. You might be able to add the shrimp you mentions earlier also tho

I'd do

2 apistos
2 kribs
6 cherry barbs
6 cardinal tetra

That would look nice and you get the 2 dwarf cichlids you want plus 2 schools. I'm pretty sure you'd be maxed out at that. You might be able to add the shrimp you mentions earlier also tho

I would love to do that stock but I've heard with the kribs they apparently get pretty aggressive during mating is that true and would that be a problem with the docile apistos

Apparently apisto reds are hard to get where I live and I'm not willing to pay the outrageous shipping so I will prob not do them. :(

I would love to do that stock but I've heard with the kribs they apparently get pretty aggressive during mating is that true and would that be a problem with the docile apistos

I kept a pair of albino kribs before and they never spawned. The female was pretty mean, I returned her but the male was fine. Kribs aren't necessarily aggressive tho, I think it would work fine :)

Id either get all males or all females for both the apistos and kribs to prevent aggressive spawning behavior. :)

In a 20 high tank 2 apistos and 2 kribs wouldn't work. If you like apistos get

2 apistos of your liking
5 Cory's
6 cardinal tetras
6 celestrial pearl danios.
1 killifish

With ur filtration you could probably put in some otos once you get more plants. They're great for eating algae.

Andrew

Back
Top Bottom