Plants and Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trail_Mix

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm trying to cycle my 10g aquarium, and the ammonia readings are high, while my nitrites and nitrates are at 0. I have squeezed my other tank's filters into the tank. I have moved old plants over to the new tank. I even used some of the same substrate. I put some of it in the filter too. I even bought the bottled cycling stuff and used that. Still, I'm not getting nitrite or nitrate readings, my ammonia just keeps going up. I have a bunch of new guppy grass and java moss in my tank, and I was wondering if that might have anything to do with it. Anyone have any ideas? Or should I just wait and be patient.

Trail_Mix said:
I'm trying to cycle my 10g aquarium, and the ammonia readings are high, while my nitrites and nitrates are at 0. I have squeezed my other tank's filters into the tank. I have moved old plants over to the new tank. I even used some of the same substrate. I put some of it in the filter too. I even bought the bottled cycling stuff and used that. Still, I'm not getting nitrite or nitrate readings, my ammonia just keeps going up. I have a bunch of new guppy grass and java moss in my tank, and I was wondering if that might have anything to do with it. Anyone have any ideas? Or should I just wait and be patient.

Except for the "instant cycling" product...all the things you've added will help tremendously. Are you doing daily water changes? You need to make sure the ammo and no2 level is under .25 at all times to keep your fish from suffering. Here's a good article that will help you along.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

if anything, plants actually will reduce ammonia and nitrates.

Cycling takes several weeks, it's a long process. There are only a very select few bacteria in a bottle products that actually have any provable results.

Back
Top Bottom