Plants and QT a fish from a friend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmpgop

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello~

Where should I buy plants for a tank I want to lightly plant? I will have a pictus (eventually a few) and be using only Excel and Halo Glo lighting system. (No CO2)

Also - should I QT a pictus I am getting from a friend? She did just tell me that one of her rainbows died :( BUT I don't think she keeps track of her water parameters at all.

Janelle

Plants and QT

Hello~

Where should I buy plants for a tank I want to lightly plant? I will have a pictus (eventually a few) and be using only Excel and Halo Glo lighting system. (No CO2)

Also - should I QT a pictus I am getting from a friend? She did just tell me that one of her rainbows died :( BUT I don't think she keeps track of her water parameters at all.

Janelle

Hello Jan...

I get my plants from Alpha Pro Breeders. They don't have a large selection, but their prices are competitive and have very good shipping methods.

Ask your friend about her tank management, water changes and such and inspect the fish. If it looks well fed, good color and good skin, then it should be fine. If it looks unhealthy, then I'd pass on it.

I use a little standard aquarium salt in my tanks and I think that keeps fish healthy.

Just a thought.

B

Thanks B - - She does regular water changes, but she never tests her water. I would bet her TRATES are high killing her fish over a period of time.

I think I'm going to take the fish but QT it. She only has a 20 gallon and I'm feeling sorry for the pictus in THAT small of a tank. And it eats small fish she tries to add... It would be better off with me.

Checking out the site suggested. Thank you! I'm new to planting so starting off easy and simple is good for me!

I'd qt them, just to be safe. You might put it in your main tank and realize it has parasites or something and infect all. Qt it for a week to a week and and a half and watch it for a while. You can never play it too safe.

Back
Top Bottom