plants and substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

17gatesh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just have a basic lighting systems and i dont no much about fertilizers what would be a cheap option for fertilizer and what are basic plants i could get to put in my tank. my plan is to put in some plants that look like grass and mossy looking plants and a couple bigger plants to add in. what would be good? what kind of substrate do i use? dirt? gravel? do i get both and put gravel on top of the dirt

If you want to use dirt then yes you would need to cap it with something. If you google Walstad method you will get a ton of info on dirted tanks. I like a product called Eco-complete. I get mine off Amazon as my local fish retailers don't carry it. I use Seachem fertilizers, both liquid and root tabs but there are cheaper alternatives like making your own root tabs. I have never done it so I will not give advice on it but I am sure someone else with experience will chime in.

How big is your tank and what kind of light do you have or plan on getting? That will help everyone to answer your questions. :)

light

i just have the standard lightting that came with my hood the tank is 55 gallons

Back
Top Bottom