Platies Vs. Mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Which is hardier and easier to breed? I've always wondered about this...

NatureFish
????

Platys and Mollies

Which is hardier and easier to breed? I've always wondered about this...

NatureFish
????

Hello Nat...

Platys are much hardier than Mollies. Mollies are the most sensitive of all the livebearing fish to changes in water conditions and their foods.

B

How hardy is "hardy"? I'm a newbie and chances are ill screw something up.

NatureFish
????

I had platies survive 20 ammonia readings

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What about Nitrite and Nitrate? And how about Ph? My ph levels are off the regular Ph charts on my API test kit.

NatureFish
????

My ph was around 8.4 with high readings on everything- it was uncycled and I was clueless

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Where'd ya get them? I'm thinking about getting some of the fancy patterns from LiveAquaria for either my ten gallon or twenty-nine...

NatureFish
????

Petsmart. They did die eventually once the ammonia spiked to forty but I think twenty is pretty good.

Emerald76

What's the average ammonia level for a well maintained tank? I'm not totally clueless but I'm bound to make those beginner mistakes.

NatureFish
????

Nothing. If your ammonia is more than zero, water changes!

Emerald76

Really? But wouldn't that require daily water changes??? Or would the BB take care of that?

NatureFish
????

Oh and is the tetra HOB filter a good or bad filter?I bought one but I haven't tried it yet...

NatureFish
????

If your ammonia is above zero after your cycle, you need to do a water change. It means there is so much the BB can't keep up.

Emerald76

I would agree that platies are much hardier than mollies or even some guppies I've kept for that matter. I believe the reason mollies seem hard to keep is because everyone has their own approach to keeping them. Some people add salt to the water while others don't. The important thing to keep in mind is to properly acclimate the fish. Check with your dealer to find out the parameters of the water. This way you can ensure that your tank will be a suitable home for the fish.

I know bigger is better but which tank would be better, my 29 or my 10? The ten is empty and the 29 was hopefully going to have one or two goldfish with maybe some white clouds or rosy reds.

NatureFish
????

What If I had a single fancy goldfish with a really strong filter? I heard it was 20 gallons per fancy and every additional one needs an extra 10 gallons.... Was that not true?

NatureFish
????

What If I had a single fancy goldfish with a really strong filter? I heard it was 20 gallons per fancy and every additional one needs an extra 10 gallons.... Was that not true?

NatureFish
????

It's really more about floor space than gallons. You can keep certain fish in a 20 gal long that can't ( or shouldn;t) be kept in a 20 gal high or extra high yet they all contain 20 gals of water. See the difference?

Back
Top Bottom