Platy aggression...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnnagrabowski

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Got a new aquarium and 4 platys that are males. They were all doing okay the first few hours after their transition but when I fed them they seemed to be very very aggressive ever since darting after each other, and it seems maybe to one particular one. Even their top fines seem to be spiked up high. I can't tell if they are playing or fighting, please help!

When you have a bunch of males together, they will tend to be a bit over zealous. They will display at each other, chase one another, etc. in order to show who the dominant one is. How big is the tank? If it is fairly small, they may not have enough room to spread out.

Thanks!

It is a 5 gallon tank and they seem to have plenty of room. Will they adapt fairly quickly you think or end up killing each other? Im very excited about this whole new experience but just do not want to do anything wrong! Thanks for your feedback!

:welcome: to AA! :)

First things first:
-That tank is too small for four platies. I would only put one in there, and even that is pushing it. They are all cramped in there with little to now swimming space which is getting them all aggressive and such.
-Is the tank cycled? What is your filtration? Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates levels?

Well they are the only fish in there, and it was just what the lady at petsmart recommended. I have a filter in the tank but do not know those levels, I am a complete rookie but got got the supplies to put in the tank like she said because I do want to do it right the first time and not have to buy new set of fish since this is what Santa is brining to my daughter...lol and I love it way more than I expected!

The lady at fish store is wrong (you are not the first to get bad advice at your fish store).

A 5 gallon tank is inappropriate for platys, even 1, imo and experience - I have kept several 5 gal tanks.

A test kit is a requirement, especially for beginners, to responsibly keep an aquarium. I recommend picking up the API Fresh Water Master kit. It includes all the tests you need to determine your water parameters. It is crucial, especially when first starting a tank. I hate to say it, but I would disregard any advice they give you at that store, based on what they have told you so far.

For now, it would be good for you to read up on the nitrogen cycle so that you understand how the most important function in an aquarium works. Right now, your tank is not cycled. I would take back the platys and do a fishless cycle, or if you wish you can do a fish in cycle, but you will need appropriate fish for such a small tank. There will be few appropriate choices at a petsmart. Probably 1 betta would be the most commonly available fish at a petsmart that would be appropriate for a 5 gal tank.

If you have the means and the space, I would take back the whole setup and get the largest size tank you can fit and afford. A 5 gal tank is not a good size for a first tank - the smaller the tank, the harder it is to maintain. Water parameters can head south rapidly. There are few constants in aquarium keeping, but one of them is "Almost nothing good happens quickly in an aquarium"... and unfortunately things happen very quickly in that small of a tank. A 20, 29, 40b, or even 55 would be great beginner sized tanks.

I apologize if any of this sounds harsh or mean - that is certainly not my intent. We have all been there. So many people start out in this hobby wrong, and have all kinds of problems with algae and fish deaths, and just give up before their tank ever has a chance to mature. The good thing is you found a great place to get help and share experiences with folks who have been doing this for a long time. And for the most part, the hardest part of this hobby is getting a tank to a mature state. Most of the frustration is in the beginning stages of setting up and maintaining a tank.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to AA!
I totally agree with fort. Unfortunately you have been given some bad advise. You have a few options.
Tank stocking:
Take back the platys and get a Betta or nano fish or maybe 2-3 guppies. Or
Take back the tank and get a larger one 10-15g minimum for your platys.
Cycling:
There are two ways to cycle. Fish in or fishless. I will post some link for you to have a read through. They will explain what it is and how to do it. It is very important to cycle a tank. It prevents your fish being burnt or killed by ammonia build up in a tank. It is the process of growing bacteria in your filter to process the ammonia.
FISHLESS:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

FISH IN:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

Any questions, don't be afraid to ask! We are here to help.

Thanks so much for all the help and advice!!!! I am going to try and return these ASAP, its just so complicated because of the holiday and I surely do want my daughter to unveil a fish tank full of dead fish! I plan on using all of your advice and hopefully we can get on the right track and have a thriving aquarium full of happy healthy fish :)

Welcome, great advice given above. There's much to learn with this hobby, most of it up front before you even get your fish. That's how you'll end up with a happy, healthy tank. (y)

Perhaps you could give you child a picture of a fish as a gift and then talk about putting the tank up together, taking the proper steps. It doesn't happen overnight so some patience is required. :)

Back
Top Bottom