Platy caught in rough decoration, missing scales and skin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragonchild85

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have one of those huge sunken ships in my tank, and my platy became trapped in one of the "holes" I had to push her back through with the net, but she had been there awhile, and is torn up pretty bad. From just behind her head to in front of her top fin, she is missing scales and is down to just skin, a good bit of that is torn off too. I think she damaged her left eye, it doesn't look quite normal, and her right fin is down to the spines in it. I netted her and put her in the floating isolation chamber, and dropped about 5 drops of slime/stress coat over her, but I'm still worried. Is there anything else I can do? If it helps any, she was pregnant before she was stuck, and still is. (Do fish miscarry if they become overly stressed or ill?)

TIA!

I would keep her in isolation because it's cheaper/easier to treat a small volume of water. Keep the water impeccably clean to prevent infection.

Try using Melafix and Pimafix - They promote healing after scrapes. Keep a close eye on her and have some stronger medication like Jungle Fungus Clear on hand in case the scrape becomes infected.

Oh, and see if you can knock off the sharp burrs inside that ornament. I used my dremel tool to do the job. A small metal file would work too.

I agree with QTOFFER.

Do fish miscarry if they become overly stressed or ill?
Yes, but it's for the survival of the mother. If she needs the nutrients to get well, she may reabsorb the eggs.

Thanks everyone. She looked alot better this morning...she is still missing scales, but the remaining ones have smoothed out, and she was actually hungry this morning. I let her back into the main tank...no one is bothering her, but I'm keeping my eye on her.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom