Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluzepher1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone ever felt the glass inside your tank? Mine feels like it has a film on it. Ammonia will not stay less than .24. Daily water changes. I added a couple of plants hoping they would help

You can try a magnetic cleaner. They make the glass shine!

That film you feel is biofilm and it is perfectly normal. And it's necessary. It is what makes the main difference between a 'new' tank and a 'mature' or well established tank that will support shrimp or many of the more sensitive fish species.

You don't want to remove it, it's needed. Algae you may need to remove, but the biofilm is not visible and will not impair the clarity of the water or your ability to view the tank. It grows on every surface in a tank that is under water, glass, rocks, gravel, ornaments, plant's leaves too. It is a food source for snails, shrimp and some fish as well.

Plants do help use up ammonia and nitrates too, once you get to nitrates. They also add some bacteria than may help the cycle move along.

Has anyone ever felt the glass inside your tank? Mine feels like it has a film on it. Ammonia will not stay less than .24. Daily water changes. I added a couple of plants hoping they would help

What is the size, stocking, feeding schedule, and age of this tank? The ammonia level might be indicative of some other issue; especially when you have to do daily water changes to keep it in check.

What is the size, stocking, feeding schedule, and age of this tank? The ammonia level might be indicative of some other issue; especially when you have to do daily water changes to keep it in check.

Feeding 6am and 6pm. Am flakes, pm frozen food... Algae wafer. About 1/4 , 3-4 bottom feeder pellets . 55gal, 1 Oto, 4 zebra danios, 4 kuhli's loaches, 6 harlequin rasboros. Tank age. 2 months. Loss of 3 Otos, 1 ZD and 4 rasboros.

:banghead:

That film you feel is biofilm and it is perfectly normal. And it's necessary. It is what makes the main difference between a 'new' tank and a 'mature' or well established tank that will support shrimp or many of the more sensitive fish species.

You don't want to remove it, it's needed. Algae you may need to remove, but the biofilm is not visible and will not impair the clarity of the water or your ability to view the tank. It grows on every surface in a tank that is under water, glass, rocks, gravel, ornaments, plant's leaves too. It is a food source for snails, shrimp and some fish as well.

Plants do help use up ammonia and nitrates too, once you get to nitrates. They also add some bacteria than may help the cycle move along.

Not sure what it is because it makes the tank look cloudy when looking through the tank, side to side the water looks very cloudy. Front also looks cloudy. 55 gal tank

How big are the daily water changes? If the water is cloudy, remove most of it and replace with fresh dechlorinated water. The cloudiness is most likely a bacteria bloom, which usually, over time, clears up. however, you don't need to wait.

How big are the daily water changes? If the water is cloudy, remove most of it and replace with fresh dechlorinated water. The cloudiness is most likely a bacteria bloom, which usually, over time, clears up. however, you don't need to wait.

20-25%. Last night I did about 40%
Added de-chlorinater.

Drop it down to 1 feeding daily while switching back and fourth between the frozen and dry foods. You are putting a lot of food into the tank every day.

Back
Top Bottom