Please help me ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What part of the state do u live in n yea I might have to invest into one of those but right now I'm trying to find out when the power will b on so I can see should I go get one or not

Im actually in the philadelphia suburbs (PA) and our power goes out ALL THE TIME!!! Its actually a bit ridiculous because on average it goes out atleast once a month. Hurricane Irene it was out for four days. Cant afford solar panels so this little generator is GREAT!!! Hope your power comes back on soon!!!!

jlk said:
Im actually in the philadelphia suburbs (PA) and our power goes out ALL THE TIME!!! Its actually a bit ridiculous because on average it goes out atleast once a month. Hurricane Irene it was out for four days. Cant afford solar panels so this little generator is GREAT!!! Hope your power comes back on soon!!!!

Yea me to because normally my power never goes out like in Irene my power didn't go off but my aunts went out for a little longer than a week but I'm praying the power comes on soon cuz I'd be so sad it my babies die I put a think blanket over my tank to try to keep them warm which is black so hopefully that can help generate some heat from the window I just hope they can hang I there till I get power

Good luck!!!! And def look into a little generator-they have even smaller ones than the one we have (and cheaper) but we wanted something that could run the tanks, a tv, & few lights. :)

Heres one other quick idea! You can buy a power inverter (about 20 at walmart) that plugs into your car lighter/power plug that will give you an outlet to run an extension cord for your heater. Ive used them before to run an air pump for my tires but i dont know if they actually work with an extension cord or not but its worth a try!

Hey, I'm typing this on my phone, so please excuse any mistakes. I've been a longtime lurker, and registered to respond to this post - I'm in connecticut and going through the same thing. This is what I've been doing:

First , I'm not worrying about the lights or filters right now, just mainly worried about the temperature. We normally keep or tanks between 78 and 80 degrees. The goal during the outage is to keep them above 70, preferably around 75. I stopped in at pet smart sunday (they were open) and the guy there didn't really have any suggestions to help me, but said most tropicals would be okay with waters in the 70 range, but once you get into the 60 s fish wil start dying. When we started heating water our tanks were at 68. We went to iparty in manchester (all the shops by the mall have power if you live close) and bought a wire chafing rack, a disposable metal pan to fit in it, and sternos. To light the sternos, take the lid of and drop in a lit match. You can then heat water in the pan for your tank.

I basically siphoned about half the tank water out of the tank and heat it until it is pretty warm, but I can still put my fingers in. I use a two cup measuring cup to pour the water back in the tank, making sure there aren't any fish around. Pouring it this way also helps some more ozygen get into the water I figure.

I've been doing this since yesterday, every few hours. We keep the tank wrapped in towels and a flannel sheet to insulate it. Also, we moved all the fish into or bigger tank so we only have one tank to worry about (we moved 8 neons into a breeding cage to put in the big tank since we have angels in the big tank).

The materials cost less than 20 bucks. I am also using seacgem prime when I add the warm water back in, to help control ammonia, etc. since no running filter. Also testing water - may start using some tap water depending how long we are out of power.

Also, in case it's a concern, it is perfectly ok to use the gel sterno (NOT the kind with wicks) inside, I worked in catering and we used 10 or more during banquets..

So far we haven't lost any fish, I wish you luck!

Also remember alot of fish actually live in cooler temps then we keep them at. Alot of central american fish could probably survive 60 degrees for a few days, same for some gourami. I have BN plecos, paradise fish, mongrel guppies all at 68 and they growing fine. Almost all barbs should be able to deal with 60 for a few days. Make sure you open up your filters so oxygem can get in for bacteria. You also need to agitate the water either manually for a short time or if you have warm tap water do pwc for oxygenation. Basically if your house has heat most tropicals will deal with it for a week. Afterwards watch out for ich. Good luck

Also what is the actual temp of the tank? I lost heat at my house last year fir two days and my water felt like ice but the thermometer registered 72. The surface of our skin is 85 so anything less then that can feel cooler then it really is.

Ok well I have good news I was able to bring my fish to my moms house where they have power and my fish r doing a lot better I. The warm water I was wondering if it's on to keep about 20 fish in a 14g tank but the filter for the tank is for a 35-40g tank ?

Back
Top Bottom