Please put all the info you know on tetras.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James10797

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting another 10 gallon tank. I have decided to do Tetras this time. Its just a normal 10 Gal with a filter and stuff. I am just asking for any advice about Tetras. Like whats the best type of tetra, so on and so forth. So post any info ya got. Thank you :) !

Tetras vary a lot in appearance. Are there any Tetras you find especially appealing?

What kind of personality do you want: peaceful fish (like neons) or more active (like Serpae)?

Personally, I would try Ember Tetras. I have heard good things about them and they do well in 10 g. tanks.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Ember_Tetra

The variety and variability of tetra is far too immense to condense into a post. Books can and have been written on the topic. ;)

For a 10G tank, I'd suggest you stick to smaller tetra such as neons, cardinals, von rios, embers, and the like. Honestly, most tetra need more swimming room to be allowed a proper grouping. Some simply get big (for small fish). Rasboras or danios are very good for smaller tanks. Check out www.liveaquaria.com and let us know which fish tickle your fancy. Then we can narrow things down based on a smaller list.

By the way.... Welcome to AA! :)

What im looking for

Ok, i like a little more active fish. The tank is going to be in my room so when i go to sleep i can watch the fish zip around. I don't have any active fish so it would be nice(2 colorful guppies a algea eater and a betta thats divided). I do like color so neons are good, but i definatley willing to sacrifice color for something that has smaller schools and is more hearty. (sorry for the spelling)

Thank you for the sites. I am more towards the cardinals. I love the color and the school size isnt bad. I watched them swim in a video, and i like them. IMPORTANT: I'M STILL OPEN TO IDEAS, so dont hold back on posts. I am getting the fish maybe this suday(10/9/10)

Does it have to be tetras? Have you looked into White Cloud Mountain Minnows?

White clouds get larger than I ever expected before I kept them and are charicins. lol They are VERY underrated fish though. Their colors blew me away once they settled in.

James- Youtube orange von rios.... :)

Nice! I like the White Cloud Mountain Minnows. Definately the best i've seen yet. I love that they are easy starters and even smaller schools. THANKS! I watched the alot of youtube videos of the von rios but a gotta hand it to ya, I like the White Cloud Mountain Minnows. I even love the history. But still keep making suggestions. Thanks again.

Some of the fish mentioned in this post so far have yet to blow through my neck of the woods, so what your resources can provide you must also be considered. I would take a look at what tetras you see at the store that you are drawn towards or are considering and write their names down and then just google them etc. That said, I've had some really nice diamond tetras and serpae tetras in my day. Oh and some red eyed moes, they're cute too!

Ok, i like a little more active fish. The tank is going to be in my room so when i go to sleep i can watch the fish zip around. I don't have any active fish so it would be nice(2 colorful guppies a algea eater and a betta thats divided). I do like color so neons are good, but i definatley willing to sacrifice color for something that has smaller schools and is more hearty. (sorry for the spelling)

I had a relative try mixing small tetras and a betta in a small tank. It didn't turn out well for the tetras.

That said, maybe a small full body tetra is the trick, but they're not going to provide the zip you're looking for. Serpae are feisty and have good colors. But you have to have several to keep them from picking on each other. I personally like black phantoms. You can find red phantoms too. You may also consider the Harlequin Rasbora for a tank that small.

Another thought is a group of Panda Corydoras. They are one of the smallest Corys out there and are a real treat to watch in a group of 6 or more.

Then again, short of a danio, not too many active fish are going to be happy in a 10 gallon aquarium.

And how are you planning on watching them in the dark?

In my 20 gallon I have:

1 Male Betta

4 (had 5 1 passed) neon tetras

5 Harlequin Rasbora

and a Bulldog aka Rubber Lipped Pleco

Everyone seems to get along well.
The tetras are pretty active, they are not doing laps but they do swim around a deal.
I have plants and hide-y things and they all swim around them and chase each other, and I do not see nipping on any of them.
They all have kind of grown up together and have been transfered from tank to tank together so maybe that is why I don't have fighting.
There are some possible issues with pH, currents and temps keeping the betta in there, but he is fine with the filter / bubble wall movement and even swims and 'surfs' them. I keep an eye on the temps so it is at the acceptable high for the pleco and acceptable low for the betta.
I did worry about the driftwood (needed for pleco) and the betta but it has been months now and no tears on the betta and the neons and harlequins love 'playing' in the driftwood.

Make sure that you have plenty of hiding spots and the plants will help as well. My betta makes hammocks out of the vine type plants and loves floating on them. The neons and harlequins swim more through the stalk parts of the plants.

Reactions: HN1
Back
Top Bottom