Please read....Cycling Question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyameeGirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, I am quite new to the world of fish, and have a question about the cycling process. I have a Fluval Chi 6.6 gallon and have just started cycling.
I am going "fishless" and ammonia free, and was wondering if there is a faster way to speed up the growth of the bacteria. I'm using fish food, but was wondering if it is also a good idea to use freshwater biozyme or not? I've read various pros and cons, some say it works, others say it didn't. I'm a bit confused.
I have two live plants in there now and am putting two more in on Tuesday. Also, the tank will be used to house a betta, so I don't want to add anything that could be potentially harmful to the little guy. :fish2:

Any advice would be MUCHO appreciated!

Thanks!

I'm really new too I am using ammonia but have read that adding fish food can be risky as it has other affects apart from adding tha ammonia. these guys are fab sum1 will be able to help

Mr. Limpet said:
Use frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms in a tank that small would be my recommendation.

Link to cycling:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

Mr limpet!! My guide for once!!! Jeez, lol.

I'd recommend trying to go with the pure ammo source since it is cleaner and easier to maintain. I also recommend against using any cycling products because they can produce a less stable bio-filter in the future.

Check out the guide in my signature if you haven't already seen it :)

If you pick a bacteria supplement, pick one that has the correct type of nitrifying bacteria in it and everything will be well. Dr Tims, Safestart, or angelsplus Active sponge filter have all had good results in my testing in the past. Do keep in mind that if you go this route that these supplements are provided with the intention of a fish-in cycle, so dosing ammonia/fish food may not work in the same way.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I more-so didn't go with ammonia cause I couldn't find any for some reason. Don't wanna end up on some terrorist list for searching for 100% pure ammonia! LOL

Mr limpet!! My guide for once!!! Jeez, lol.

I'd recommend trying to go with the pure ammo source since it is cleaner and easier to maintain. I also recommend against using any cycling products because they can produce a less stable bio-filter in the future.

Check out the guide in my signature if you haven't already seen it :)
I'll check that out too! ;0)

Back
Top Bottom