PLEASE!! WHAT is THIS??! Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just found this in my tank... I have 3 ghost shrimp in my tank and I know babies are supposed to be tiny.. But could this one have survived? How old is it? I first saw it crawling up my tank wall until it fell off and one of the shrimp was trying to eat it...

And someone please tell me I didn't save a silver fish ... Those things that scurry on the floor or are in cabinets sometimes...

View attachment 84737

View attachment 84738

Looks like it's a type of bug larva. I'm not sure what kind and I don't have time to look right now but some of them can be hazardous to small fish, like dragonfly larva. I would just kill it and trash it, probably wouldn't have hurt your shrimps if they had eaten it.

Iodizedfate said:
Looks like it's a type of bug larva. I'm not sure what kind and I don't have time to look right now but some of them can be hazardous to small fish, like dragonfly larva. I would just kill it and trash it, probably wouldn't have hurt your shrimps if they had eaten it.

Dragonfly larva... Huh..? HOW... nothing flying around the house here... I moved it into my 1g and put half water

Looks like a some sort of bug for me :) Definitely not a shrimp :lol:

ocminpin said:
Just found this in my tank... I have 3 ghost shrimp in my tank and I know babies are supposed to be tiny.. But could this one have survived? How old is it? I first saw it crawling up my tank wall until it fell off and one of the shrimp was trying to eat it...

And someone please tell me I didn't save a silver fish ... Those things that scurry on the floor or are in cabinets sometimes...

It looks like a silverfish bug to me

manbeast said:
most definitely mayfly larvae

Eww looks exact...
How did I get it? Why was it crawling around on my gravel... How big are mayflies? I don't notice anything around here

Edit: just looked them up... Eww horrible. Does that mean eggs were laid in my water at some point?

not to sure of their life cycle but I think the adults may only live @ 24 hrs, and as long as you tank isn't looking over run with them I wouldn't think it's much to woory about IMO

manbeast said:
not to sure of their life cycle but I think the adults may only live @ 24 hrs, and as long as you tank isn't looking over run with them I wouldn't think it's much to woory about IMO

I didn't notice any others... I read the adults Lay eggs in freshwater and can take a yr to reach adult and then only live 24 hrs... Weird!
I just gravel vacc'd yesterday too!

ocminpin said:
Silverfish can live IN water?
He must have heard my house was the place to be for fish ;-)

Not sure about IN the water, but they love moist places, so would make sense they can at least spend just a bit of time underwater. I am no expert on mayflys (or is it mayflies lol) but I thought they didn't have antennae whilst larvae.

idk, but im sure flies, all kinds lay eggs in still water? if yeah, maybe more water circulation woudl prevent future...

Back
Top Bottom