Plecto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chasnkevin4ever

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a common plecto. He has what looks like air bubbles all over his face and top of head. Is there any diseases in plecto's that could cause this?

I have a common plecto. He has what looks like air bubbles all over his face and top of head. Is there any diseases in plecto's that could cause this?

Did you just do a water change? Sometimes if done too fast the gasses in the water can cling to things in the tank, including fish.

Also, as an aside: is the Pleco in the 20 gal tank in your profile ("twenty gal has a plecto, dino bichir, and ram cichlid")? Common Plecos can reach up to two feed and should be in a very large tank. It may be small now but if kept in such a small tank for long he will go through the process of stunting, which is very painful for the fish. Common Plecos also grow very fast.

Also the Birchir can grow up to 12". Your tank is also vastly overstocked. I'd be worried about water quality; do you check the water with a test kit and how frequent are your water changes?

Also in a tank that small, aside from stunting, they'll start showing territorial aggression as they age.

I rehomed the Dino today! And my pleco (sorry on a touch iPhone words get misspelled sometimes) I'm thinking about rehoming. I'm getting a bigger tank tomorrow and test kits are on the way. And I did a water change today so yeah it could be the bubbles! Thanks y'all I do know my fish need bigger tanks and I'm working on it as fast as possible!

I rehomed the Dino today! And my pleco (sorry on a touch iPhone words get misspelled sometimes) I'm thinking about rehoming. I'm getting a bigger tank tomorrow and test kits are on the way. And I did a water change today so yeah it could be the bubbles! Thanks y'all I do know my fish need bigger tanks and I'm working on it as fast as possible!

Good for you! Unfortunately unless your tank is at least 125 gallons (I'm not even sure if that would be large enough) the Pleco will need to be rehomed at some point too. I'm glad the bubbles were just from the pwc and nothing more serious. :D

My eels already got their 60 gallon. I also got a new baby eel same type, they are so cute together! And I am waiting on my 30+ gallon for cichlids it should be here within a couple of days. My dad is bring it to me, so I'm waiting on him!

Eventually my fw tank will be 200 gal and my bw will be 100+ haven't decided on size yet we might get a couple more eels and every eel has to have at least 30 gallons to itself. We don't want our huge tanks until we get our house cuz right now we are in an apartment looking for house. So I am sure within the yr we will have our permanent tanks!

Chasnkevin4ever said:
My eels already got their 60 gallon. I also got a new baby eel same type, they are so cute together! And I am waiting on my 30+ gallon for cichlids it should be here within a couple of days. My dad is bring it to me, so I'm waiting on him!

Woah woah wait up. Now if you remember me, i was part of a thread when you first came here. You said you loved your fish and would never give them away. Ok then i thought youd get some bigger tanks? Like in the 100's? Sorry i just thought you knew what to do.
What type of eels are we talking about?
The pleco needs a 125 at least, sorry :/
And not many chiclids can really be in a 30, like your hap and your yellow labs

Well it's been awhile huh... My Hap and lab died. And yes I know my Pleco needs 125 gallon that's why my friend might take him for me. And yes we are planning to get tanks in the hundreds. My eels are g. Tile moray eels and I have done some very much research on them. It has said that a 30 gallon tank for one is perfect. And the baby eel I got would have died he is so tiny and malnutriented really bad! He is eating already which is good cuz we have only had him for four days. When usually when u move them or miss with their tank they get stressed and won't eat for up to two weeks. I'm doing right by my eels it's all my other fish. My fw tanks.

Oh yeah the tanks I am getting now they may not be in the hundreds but they are bigger and free if I have to put one fish to a tank I will til I get the 100+ gallon. :)

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Oh yeah the tanks I am getting now they may not be in the hundreds but they are bigger and free if I have to put one fish to a tank I will til I get the 100+ gallon. :)

Good, im hoping that we helped you before.

That's what drives my fiancé crazy, I have a plan for everything ha! I do understand most of the fish I have and plan to get need big tanks. The JD that I'm going to get has to have it's own tank. And so does my dwarf puffer! But my 200 gallon is going to be cichlids, then I will have 100+ for eels, 50 for my JD, ten gallon for dwarf puffer. All the fish I got right now is ram, pleco, and some guppies with eels for food. All my fish started dieing when I put the black diamond sand in the tank.

Chasnkevin4ever said:
That's what drives my fiancé crazy, I have a plan for everything ha! I do understand most of the fish I have and plan to get need big tanks. The JD that I'm going to get has to have it's own tank. And so does my dwarf puffer! But my 200 gallon is going to be cichlids, then I will have 100+ for eels, 50 for my JD, ten gallon for dwarf puffer. All the fish I got right now is ram, pleco, and some guppies with eels for food. All my fish started dieing when I put the black diamond sand in the tank.

Wow you have quite the budget for all those tanks! Ever try a easy community tank? Hahah

Good, im hoping that we helped you before.

Everyone helped me alot! My fish dieing has taught me a big lesson. I ordered my test kits and I'm just waiting for them. I'm cycling a ten gallon right now for my dwarf puffer, I can't do my fish dieing like that.

Back
Top Bottom