Pls Help Cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanya22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We got our 20 gal tank wed and it was fine till this mornin we woke up and it was all cloudy! Idk wat to do can ne one help?

Yes we do we had a ten gal then upgraded never had a prob now we do!

:welcome: to AA! (y)

What color is the cloudiness? New tanks with a whitish color cloudy water usually means a bacterial bloom .... which is actually a good thing. The beneficial bacterial needed for biological filtration is developing in your tank and will soon occupy tank surfaces and the filter media.

Do you have a test kit for pH, ammonia. nitrite and nitrates? Many AA members use the API test master kit. If you currently have fish ... see the link below.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

A browish tea color are tannins that leach from DW.

You have a bacterial bloom, very common when starting a new tank.

Did you seed the new filter with old media before moving the fish to the new tank?

Yes its only 2 days old we did a half water change is that ok or leave it alone? We have 6 tetras! And we have a kit but it just shows a color grid so im really not sure kinda hard to read!

Idk wat that even means? Seed the new filter? Were very new to this ne info would be greatly appreciated! I love my aquarium just dunno much bout them?

Idk wat that even means? Seed the new filter? Were very new to this ne info would be greatly appreciated! I love my aquarium just dunno much bout them?

What they mean is that assuming you had your 10 gal tank for awhile, it was established with the Beneficial Bacteria responsible for biological filtration. A common mistake when upgrading to a larger tank ... thus usually a new filter is to discard the old filter media (cartridge, ceramic rings etc). It's in the filter media where a large majority of the BB live.

So in essence what's probably happening is that your are cycling a new tank from scratch ... meaning you have to keep up on PWC's by testing the water and keeping ammonia below 0.25ppm.

Thnx guys? I hope i can get this solved wit out ne fish dyin :( ne other good info u could give me?

tanya22 said:
Thnx guys? I hope i can get this solved wit out ne fish dyin :( ne other good info u could give me?

Keep up on the daily water changes. Monitor your levels in the tank. Do that for about two-four weeks and you should be done with your fish-in cycle. :)

Agreed, Bruins.

Your best weapon right now is frequent large PWC as needed. Using Prime to dechlorinate is very beneficial, as it temporarily detoxifies amonia.

Also get a good test kit, not sure what you have now. If you have strips they are very inaccurate. The API Master Liquid test kit is best, and it will allow you to test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH. Do a water test every day and any time nitrite or ammonia are over 0.25 do a water change to get them as close to 0 as possible. Also don't let nitrate get over 20.

What kind of fish are in the tank?

Nutrafin test are cheaper and as the reading are just stay under .25, the precision i not the major point in cycling!!
You dont want to know if there is 2 or 4 ppm you only want to know yiur under 1 and never over 4 so dont pay for the best! Sve money to feed better food instead!!

librarygirl said:
Also get a good test kit, not sure what you have now. If you have strips they are very inaccurate. The API Master Liquid test kit is best, and it will allow you to test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH. Do a water test every day and any time nitrite or ammonia are over 0.25 do a water change to get them as close to 0 as possible. Also don't let nitrate get over 20.

What kind of fish are in the tank?

I have tetras in it now!

Oh...those are actually a different species entirely from tetras. Tiger barbs are from the family Cyprindae and tetras Charcidae. Sorry to go all scientific on you, just wanted to clarify! :)

Back
Top Bottom