Possible Stock For 10 Gallon Planted Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tasmainia300

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, this is my first post here and I was wondering if this stock would work for my new 10 gallon tank?

• One Male Veiltale Betta (rather docile)
  • 2 Ghost shrimp
  • 4 Amano Shrimp
  • 6-7 Pygmy corys

The reason for the two ghost shrimp is that I still must test my Betta's temperament and if it leaves them alone then I can slowly get the others.

I have my Betta currently in a heated 5 gallon tank which will be given to my brother for his betta (currently in a 1 gal :facepalm:)
I have done days and days of research already and I ruled out tetras as a whole due to their need for longer tanks and I decided to post here for a hands-on opinion for my specific situation :D.
By the way, I will be doing a fish-in cycle with my Betta in the 10 gal and will not get any of the other fish until the cycle has completed.

Last edited:
I think that stock should work as long as you give the shrimp plenty if structure to crawls around and hide from nosey bettas!

Sounds good!
Make sure you add a lot of plants
You can also add some african dwarf frogs if you wish

Sounds good!
Make sure you add a lot of plants
You can also add some african dwarf frogs if you wish

I was planning on adding anacharis as well as java fern and java moss and either water wisteria or amazon sword haha. I haven't been able to check availability yet as I live in a small town and must drive 45 minutes to the nearest cluster of fish stores.

As for frogs, they aren't really my thing, and i heard they are a hassle to feed :lol:

I was planning on adding anacharis as well as java fern and java moss and either water wisteria or amazon sword haha. I haven't been able to check availability yet as I live in a small town and must drive 45 minutes to the nearest cluster of fish stores.

As for frogs, they aren't really my thing, and i heard they are a hassle to feed :lol:

This is my 10 gallon
These are the plants I have, all low tech plants, but don't worry, it looks bad because I'm still not done
These are all very easy plants to care for
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums...AAF09D1-1216-00000119F8C5390D_zps3ca9dd8a.jpg
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums...7C3B172-1216-0000011A25D874AB_zpsf0dd0d4e.jpg

This is my 5 gallon for the next few days, as I am getting my heater, substrate, and most of my plants on Saturday for my 10 gal

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397796258.312005.jpg

You can!
It's not hard to feed them, I put bloodworms in one of those medicine syrup basters, suck up water, leave them to soak for 15 minutes, then release the bloodworms in the tank

Be careful with tiny Cories. Your Betta may not like them. Mine killed young Panda Cories in a 12g. Have a backup plan.
Add stock very gradual and keep testing water.

Some Bettas of mine only allowed Ghost Shrimp as tank mates. Every Betta is different.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful with tiny Cories. Your Betta may not like them. Mine killed young Panda Cories in a 12g. Have a backup plan.

Some Bettas of mine only allowed Ghost Shrimp as tank mates. Every Betta is different.

True that
First I added the frogs, at first he followed them around, not knowing what they were, but now, he couldn't care less about them

Yeah I planned the ghost shrimp as an initial aggression test but everything I get I will watch closely and be cautious about.

I'll just put in my 2 cents. My male betta recently killed all the ghost shrimp in his tank (10 gallon with lots of hiding places) they lasted about 2 weeks or so.

I'll just put in my 2 cents. My male betta recently killed all the ghost shrimp in his tank (10 gallon with lots of hiding places) they lasted about 2 weeks or so.

Well I know I have to be prepared for the worst but it's worked out for countless others so it very well may for me too :)

And I don't blame you for bringing out those 2 cents
My male red veil tail lives in my 55 gallon community tank
My male crowntail, will kill anything that gets near it
And my male blue veil tail, lives with neon tetras
So it depends on the bettas temper

Back
Top Bottom