power outage possibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
We are having some pretty severe T-storms here in the mountains of western NC, and it made me panic because we are prone to power outages in the area where I live, especially during the winter. They are infrequent, but average 2 or 3 times a year. What would I do for my tank during a power outage? Are there any battery powered heaters or air pumps?

You can get a small uninterruptible power supply (UPS) that would handle a power outage - APC are a decent brand for home use and have various models offering different runtimes. They should keep a filter, air pump, etc going for quite a while. In the past when I've lost power for a prolonged period of time, placing a large beach towel or something over the tank helped retain heat without it loosing much, although I only really did that in the winter rather than summer. You might be fine depending on the room temperature.

Hope you stay safe. We could with some decent storms here in St Louis to break the heat + humidity...

you can get a battery powered air pump in the fishing section at walmart. As far as heater goes, you'd need a power inverter or generator. The UPS thing is a good idea if you can afford that also, but I'd probably just invest in a generator since it'd be nice to have power for other stuff too.

oh, duh...I just saw the related threads, still learning the site.
Thanks for replying though

you can get a battery powered air pump in the fishing section at walmart. As far as heater goes, you'd need a power inverter or generator. The UPS thing is a good idea if you can afford that also, but I'd probably just invest in a generator since it'd be nice to have power for other stuff too.

Have to agree with Jetajockey ... a generator's your best option. I may have to also consider one come next paycheck:D.

Back
Top Bottom