Pretty sure my tank is cycled... Help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDaAx

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am on day 33 of my fish in cycle and my prams are as follows:

-55 gallon glass aquarium
-temp. 78
-ammonia 0ppm
-nitrites .25ppm
-nitrates <20ppm

So am I good to go or should I wait for that .25 nitrite reading to drop?

Should wait for that nitrite to drop, in the cycle the nitrites should go off a cliff from where it was. But just to make sure I would wait for the ammonia + nitrites to reach 0

Gerrr!!! So frustrating! My readings for the last couple days were
Ammo - 0ppm
Nitrites - .25ppm
Nitrate - less than 20ppm

Now today my nitrites spiked for the second time
It's at 2ppm! Is this normal for a a cycle or could it have to do with my feeding them?

Is it fish in cycle?

EDIT-

Just saw it is, whats in the tank?

I had 6 serpae tetras, 2 harlequin Rasbora, and 4 albino corydoras...

I added 4 more serpae tetras to the mix 4 days ago because they were being aggressive towards each other. and I am think the spike is from the addition to the tank. Should I do a large pwc? Like 50%?

Also to note. All the fish look healthy. Bright red coloring in the tetras and they are active

IMO cory cats are not the best fish to fish in cycle with, but too late now.

Stock (number wise, and considering the bioload) is pretty good for a fish in cycle.

Try fasting once a week, and make sure to feed lightly. A 50% water change wouldn't hurt to get the nitrites down to .25 ppm or less.

Just FYI those serpae tetras are going to make it a bit harder to stock the tank.

Gerrr!!! So frustrating! My readings for the last couple days were
Ammo - 0ppm
Nitrites - .25ppm
Nitrate - less than 20ppm

Now today my nitrites spiked for the second time
It's at 2ppm! Is this normal for a a cycle or could it have to do with my feeding them?

Probably from adding more fish. If nitrites are at 2, I'd do a couple of 50% water changes to get them down.

I know the serpea tetras are nippy but I they are doing good so far. Once they established a pecking order among themselves they are all calm and cool now. It's been 4 hours or so since a 30% water change and I am now reading
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm might call it .1ppm cuz it's no exact color match to the blue but not the purple. Ill attach a picture.
Nitrates less than 20ppm

image-381231110.jpg

IMO cory cats are not the best fish to fish in cycle with, but too late now.

Stock (number wise, and considering the bioload) is pretty good for a fish in cycle.

Try fasting once a week, and make sure to feed lightly. A 50% water change wouldn't hurt to get the nitrites down to .25 ppm or less.

Just FYI those serpae tetras are going to make it a bit harder to stock the tank.

My Cory cats have been in there the longest and they seem do be doing very well. I have been testing my water 3 times a day and doing PWCs as needed since week 2. Week one I didn't really know about the cycling process :(

Keep up smaller water changes , your tank may be cycled now! It's okay you didn't know the cycling process, you do now and that's all that matters :)

Back
Top Bottom