Prime, and cycling tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krayzie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 20 gallon tank, currently cycling. Do I add the Prime before I add ammonia?

Honestly I don't know why it matters lol but there's an article on here that says add prime first. It's called Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle. I would add the link but I'm on my phone. I'm sure someone will chime in and add links

My lfs had a bottle on sale for 1$, so I grabbed one. Been using it in place of the simple dc I had, although I'm in the final stretch of fish in cycle, also seeded a good bit threw out the process. all my parameters look good, don't know if this helps.

Krayzie said:
I have a 20 gallon tank, currently cycling. Do I add the Prime before I add ammonia?

If your tank is already cycling, that means you're already building up BB. You'd put the Prime in first to avoid any BB being killed by Chlorine or Chloramines in your tap. You'd either add the Prime first to the tank before adding your tap or treat the tap in buckets/etc. before adding it to the tank. If you added tap to the tank before the Prime, you risk destroying BB hence there's really no way to add Ammonia before Prime. Since you need to precisely dose Ammonia, you should dose the whole tank at once unless you know how much water you're exactly adding to the tank vs. how much water is left in the tank & if there was any Ammonia still in the tank, etc. I'd test the whole tank filled before adding Ammonia--plus, my tap tests 0.5ppm before dosing Ammonia. I suppose people who really know their tanks know how much they're adding back in. HTH!

Back
Top Bottom