Prime and water testing Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlakRiot

Aquarium Advice Regular
My friend finally started taking my advice after I explained the cycling process and how i don't do 100% water changes daily. She is finally letting her tanks cycle and she bought a test kit. Well i guess she went out and also bought prime to detoxify ammonia. Seeing as i have never used the stuff and relied on water changes to reduce ammonia I am uncertain as to how it works or affects the testing process. I was showing her how to use her api test kit when her nitrates were registering 40 ppm. So we did 3 30% water changes and continued to register the same amount of nitrates. I went out and bought another nitrate test kit thinking hers might have been contaminated or something. Once again she registered at around 40 ppm. We did another 2 30% water changes after that stil testing 40ppm nitrates.

I told her that it was probably the prime skewing the nitrate results because i am at a loss as to how two test kits could be registering her nitrates so high with as much water we have changed out.

Also i am positive we did the test right.

Has anyone had that experience with prime?

Nitrates in your tap water sounds far more likely. The nitrate test is also very finicky. Make sure you are shaking the reagent bottles and the test tube very very well.

Prime detoxifies ammonia but it will not change the reading, it merely changes its form to ammonium. So if you had 2ppm ammonia, it just changes it to 2ppm ammonium temporarily.

Well i was just thinking maybe there was something else in prime that could react to the test not actually nitrates. But it is her water source. And now i will never drink water from her place again. Thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom