Problem with cycling....Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scattynat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all.
I thought my tank had finished cycling (read zero ammonia and nitrites for two days) So I ordered 6 cherry barbs and 4 japonica shrimp.
Tested my water last night and the levels were off the scale, I don't know why as I did nothing to the tank. The fish are in transit and are due to arrive Friday, I don't really want to send them back as they are mail order and I think one trip is enough stress for them. I have just done a 60% water change to try and bring the levels down...Are there any more suggestions. I'm in a bit of a pickle with this one! :hide:

You will have to treat it as a fish in cycle now. Review the stickies on here to do it properly. I made the same mistake with my tank! Basically you will be doing countless water changes. I'm so glad my tank is finally cycled only 1 water change a week now.

Ok thanks...Was dreading that lol, just don't understand what happened!
All the gravel, some decorations and the internal filter came from an established tank...Guess it's just one of those things

how long did you let it "cycle" for? ive found if you add stress zyme and quick start it boosts the time of the cycle. ive got six tanks now and get impatient when cycling lol.

about two weeks...I didn't add anything as I thought I had enough material to kick start it with :/

Also, my PH is showing at 8.0 after the water change but it measures 7.4 (The lowest my test will show) out of the tap, is 8 too high?

Were you doing a fishless cycle with ammonia? Once you start getting 0 readings of ammonia and nitrite it's usually best to keep testing for a week to make sure they stay at 0 before adding fish. At any rate, drain as much water as you can to keep ammonia and nitrites at 0 and nitrates <10 for when you get fish. Then continue with a fish-in cycle. Your PH is fine; the difference is likely from the tap water. Sometimes the PH out of the tap can change once it gasses off. The fish will adapt. Just make sure it stays relatively stable.

Thanks librarygirl.
I tested my water today and the ph is at max on the chart, nothing new added except for a flake of fish food as I read it can help the cycle (my lfs have kindly agreed to house the fish until my cycle is complete), Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks librarygirl.
I tested my water today and the ph is at max on the chart, nothing new added except for a flake of fish food as I read it can help the cycle (my lfs have kindly agreed to house the fish until my cycle is complete), Am I doing something wrong here?

For a tank to cycle, the bacteria need food to grow. They feed on ammonia, so either you have to add it manually (fishless cycle) or if you have fish the fish provide the ammonia (fish-in cycle). You can add fish food but it would take a lot to get the ammonia up to the desired level for fishless cycling and it can be messy. So if you don't have the fish you can try a fishless cycle with pure ammonia or if you want to get the fish back and do a fish-in cycle you can do that as long as you keep up with daily testing and water changes. This guide explains both cycling methods: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Whoops worded that wrong! :) What I meant is that I added some food on top of the daily dose of ammonia, and the fish are not currently in the tank

Back
Top Bottom