Problems and Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fixXxed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Day 17

I received a 55g tank for Christmas. I was really excited to get it going and did not research a lot before starting. So this is where I am at...

About three weeks ago I was setup and filled the tank with water. I let it set a few days, and I tested it with a strip test (after research, I now realize these suck). It did not have ammonia as part of the test, but everything seemed normal except for pH was off the chart high. So I travel to the LFS, and take some water samples. One sample was from my tank (filled with tap water going thru my water softener), the second sample was from my tap, bypassing the water softener. The results for the tank water was normal except pH was like 8.0. The results of my tap water was normal except the ammonia level .25 ppm. I was told at that time that the tank would not cycle, without adding fish. (Lies). So I bought 10, 1 inch fish that they said would be ok with the pH. Mostly different ragtails. I also bought a liquid test kit, with a 2 part ammonia test with a powder substance as the first part. That was 17 days ago.

I have been testing the tank water every couple of days until about 5 days ago I started testing daily. My ammonia levels are about 2ppm. I am not reading any nitrite or nitrate levels. I do not see the fish having symptoms of ammonia poisoning, although I am unsure. I have been feeding them, very little and even cut back to every other day.

I bought the API master test kit now. I have been testing my tank and my tap water. Is it normal to get traces of ammonia in your tap water? I seem to have some, which I am thinking cant be good for water changes. I am unsure of what steps to take next.

I ended up buying this stuff called nite-out II, but am unsure if I should use it or not.

Somehow my dumb non researching butt has made it this far with no dead fish so far. I am desperate for help though, because I think they wont last much longer. Wish I would of researched more beforehand. I read the sticky on fishless cycle, wish i read that before I got fish.

I would start by doing water changes until you get the ammonia level below .25.

2ppm ammonia will kill your fish in the next few days.

:eek:Well , now you are in your way to cycle your tank with fish, which a lot of people do, so it is possible.
Will require more work from you, meaning daily partial water changes, to maintain the ammonia below 0.25ppm. So keep doing water changes as needed, and keep reading the water quality.

One day you will read nitrites and later on nitrates, and the levels of ammonia will be droping to the point to read 0 daily. Then you will be cycled.

I had good experience with the product that you described, Nite out II, and I used another one from the same supplier (Micro lift) called Special Blend. Both products speed up the growth of good bacteria (At least that is my impression). So you can used it, following the label instructions, and if you like you can overdosed, not a big deal because in theory are just bacterias on it.

Good luck and keep us posted

Too get those ammonia levels down and prevent any fish from dying (it may be too late even if they are symptom free) you will need to do a huge PWC immediately, 50% or more. You will probably have to do this daily until your cycle is complete.

Some people do have ammonia in their tap water. Once your tank is properly cycled, it should be able to eliminate a .25 reading of ammonia within 24 hours.

I do wish you luck. You can pull this off, it just takes a huge amount of work.

I am doing a 50% water change now. at the moment I cannot think of a water source I can use but my own tap, so that is what I am going to use. Even though there is Ammonia in my water it is still lower than the tank so hoping it will help. I also added the recommended dosage of Nite-out II. I will keep you all up to date. Thanks for the quick replies!

Update - Day 19

Ok, I have been doing 50% water changes and got the ammonia levels to around .25 - .50 ppm. I did lose one fish yesterday but others seem to be ok. I check the tank for a few minutes, every couple hours to keep an eye on them. I am still not getting any Nitrite or Nitrate readings, which has me a bit, stressed. I am being patient though.

It takes a while to see nitrites. Then it usually goes more quickly. Can you get some established filter media or a cup of gravel from your LFS? Adding those to the tank will help speed things along.

Day 23 - going nuts waiting

I love this forum. So much advice! Glad to be part of it.

Well I lost another fish. Down to 8 now. I have not tested today yet, but as of yesterday, no nitrites. OMG. Taking forever. I did as suggested and the LFS gave me a couple cups full of used gravel. Just got that today though. They were confused about it, but gave it to me free. I will take the advice I read somewhere else and put it in pantyhose, as it is a different color. Will the fish nibble the panty hose? Is this bad? I have undergravel filter so cannot put it inside an over the side filter. Although I am thinking of getting one of those too, at some point. I hope this gets the process going.

The rest of the fish seem to be doing well. I have been doing water changes as needed to keep ammonia levels around .25 ppm.

Anything else I should know or do?

You may not see any nitrites. Just keep up with what you're doing. You should start going longer between water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite levels around <0.25ppm. If you don't see any nitrites and ammonia is staying under 0.25ppm without water changes, then you should start seeing nitrates.

Day 25 - I never wanted Nitrites so bad!

Well, I have been keeping ammonia levels around .25 ppm with PWC's as needed. I lost one more fish, down to 7 now. I have some used gravel in the tank, that I picked up at the LFS. Nothing else to do but wait. Still only getting a reading on ammonia, and no reading on nitrites and nitrates.

Day 23 - going nuts waiting

I love this forum. So much advice! Glad to be part of it.

Well I lost another fish. Down to 8 now. I have not tested today yet, but as of yesterday, no nitrites. OMG. Taking forever. I did as suggested and the LFS gave me a couple cups full of used gravel. Just got that today though. They were confused about it, but gave it to me free. I will take the advice I read somewhere else and put it in pantyhose, as it is a different color. Will the fish nibble the panty hose? Is this bad? I have undergravel filter so cannot put it inside an over the side filter. Although I am thinking of getting one of those too, at some point. I hope this gets the process going.

The rest of the fish seem to be doing well. I have been doing water changes as needed to keep ammonia levels around .25 ppm.

Anything else I should know or do?

Just wanted to check, you didn't let the LFS gravel dry, did you? Must remain wet for the good bacteria to have remained alive on it.

Hang in there. :)

dkpate said:
I would get some Prime water conditioner too, it will help with the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

ditto
what are you currently using for water conditioner? Prime will help to neutralize the ammonia that is in your tap water already.

and make sure you aren't vacuuming anything during PWC's. I'm not all that familiar with UGF's but maybe they take a little longer to colonize with bacteria. I know I would be a little skeptical as well at this point having no appearance of nitrites (or nitrates). bacteria like it dark and warm, so minimize the time the light is on. I would normally suggest to raise the temp as well but in this case it is better not to stress the fish. speaking of which, what kinda fish are they? you should put some pics up :D

I have not used any water conditioner. I have used Nite-out II, but must admit I have forgotten about it on the last couple water changes, until now. I have looked, (not real hard yet) for the Prime conditioner everyone talks about and have not seen it. This will definitely be my next purchase. Will this product mess with any of my tests? yeah, i have not been vacuuming during the changes. Did not want to mess with any bacteria that may be building up. The used gravel I got was wet, but unfortunately I did not get home for a couple hours and it sat in a cold van. (I live in Michigan) so the bacteria I needed, probably did die. :(
I also must admit, I had my lights on quite a bit. That will change today. I may have name a bit off, but will try my best. I bought 10 fish, 2 of each kind. (before I knew they may like to be in a school, and still need to look into the fish I have more) 2 black mollies - that are deceased now. 2 red ragtails (I think they were called) - 1 deceased. 2 sword ragtails - one hangs in corner A LOT. 2 red eye somethings (I forgot). and 2 zebra danios I think they are called. I will post some pics, when I get a chance to figure out how. I know I should definitely know more about their names and needs. I was new and did not realize everything that went into this. I am reading the forums here whenever I get the chance and am learning a lot. The iphone app helps on fitting it into my schedule also +1! thanks for all the help. My next tank cycle will definitely be fishless. Too much stress going on for me and the fish right now. I know I will love this new hobby and hope to do many better things in the future of it. I will be refinishing my basement soon and am thinking of different ways to build some tanks into the walls and having as much as possible happen behind the scenes. However, now I just have to focus on my first tank. :)

Just to confirm, yes, if it was in there that long, etc, there probably was no bacteria on there when you got home. Or if there was, it was dead and probably just added to the problem.

well i think i may have figured out why you aren't seeing any nitrites!! you really NEED to use water conditioner to get rid of the chlorine and chloramines in the water. they will inhibit bacteria from growing and will kill any existing bacteria. if you can't find Prime, get any water conditioner that gets rid of chlorine AND chloramines . it's really very important to condition any and all tap water that is added to your tank.

I know with all the LFS around that there has to be prime conditioner somewhere and I will eventually find it. For now tetra aqua safe and jungle tank start is all I have I seen. I just picked up some aqua safe and will add this tonight. I am still wondering if this will mess with any of my tests. Will I still get correct test results? I will keep my eye open for prime. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom